Can MBPs new USB-C adapter charge iPhone 7?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TazmoStarkana, Dec 22, 2016.

1. TazmoStarkana macrumors regular

2. radus macrumors 6502

3. ihatetoregister macrumors 6502

ihatetoregister

Works both with USB-c to lightning, and the multi adapter (the one that does HDMI and extra usb-b and c

4. TazmoStarkana thread starter macrumors regular

So it would work with the 61W and 87W wall adapter (USB-C to Lightning) correct? Does the 87W charge faster?

5. Trixs macrumors regular

Wondering this too. Would like to use it to charge my bluetooth speaker so I don't need to travel with another charger for that.

6. robvas macrumors 68020

Is an iPhone going to handle > 60w?!

10/12w iPad chargers work pretty well

7. ihatetoregister macrumors 6502

ihatetoregister

OOOHH Wait ! I thought you were talking about USB-C adapters (USB-C -> USB-B) , which is what I answered to.

8. TazmoStarkana thread starter macrumors regular

Is there no one that knows the answer to this??

9. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Answer to what? What's your question?

If you're asking if an iPhone with a Lightning socket can charge from a MBPro's USB-C port, then the answer is Yes, if you use a USB-C-to-Lightning cable.

If you're asking if an iPhone with a Lightning socket can charge from a USB-C power adapter, like the one that comes with the MB Pro, then the answer is Yes, if you use a USB-C-to-Lightning cable.

USB-C is a connector standard, not a data standard. Both USB-A and USB-C can carry power for charging things.

It's really not difficult. If you plug in a cable that fits both the adapter and the phone, you can charge the phone. Don't worry about the high max output of the MB Pro's adapters because it's just the maximum output -- the phone's charging circuit won't suddenly try to use all 87 watts, because it's smart enough to draw only what the phone needs.

So, yes, you can use one adapter to charge both the laptop and the phone, and you no longer need to carry a dedicated adapter for the laptop.

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The AC adapter can supply up to 60w, but the phone will only draw as much power as it needs.

11. Emiel1 macrumors newbie

It is possible to connect your iPhone to the 87w adapter from the macbook pro, tried it and survived it

12. TazmoStarkana thread starter macrumors regular

Have you tested to confirm it can charge from a 61/87W MBP wall adapter to iPhone7? Using the USB-C to Lightning cable.

13. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Check the other posts. Both radus and Emiel1 have done it.

14. TazmoStarkana thread starter macrumors regular

Does it charge it faster though? Does anyone have any timing info on that??
    --- Post Merged, Dec 22, 2016 ---
    Does it charge faster? Do you have any timing info? I would assume it charges faster with more Watttage. Would love some info on timing from 0 to 100. I'd appreciate it very much.

15. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Charge faster than what? Just about anything charges faster than the 5w charger that the phone ships with.

If you're asking about a difference in charging speed between the 61w and the 87w adapter, then the answer is probably no.

16. TazmoStarkana thread starter macrumors regular

I'd love to know how fast the 61W charges the iPhone. From 0-100 preferably. If no one has info on that then what about the 87W adapter.

17. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Either one of the USB C MacBook Pro adapters will charge faster than the 5w adapter that the iPhone ships with, but none of them will really be faster than the 10/12w iPad A/C adapter. Charging time will be dependent on the phone, but I'm guessing a higher power charger will cut 30 minutes to an hour off of the standard charging time.

If you're really that interested, buy both and time them.

18. Manrico1 macrumors member

Manrico1

depends on the iPhone
    iPhone 6 and older (if I remember well) charge at the same speed with 5w, 12w and on
    From 6s, 12w charges faster than 5w, up to 12w there should be no difference in charge speed