Can merely touching the screen affect your iPhone's battery charge?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Steve686, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

As the topic headline asks. I was just wondering with my limited knowledge of how the iPhone's conductive touch sensitivity works, if touching the screen while in sleep mode and completing the circuit in any way can affect the battery life of your phone. Or does the screen have to be activated for sure to complete the circuit, which is what I would think.

And how about leaving the phone in your pocket with the screen facing your body? Such close proximity to your skin through such a thin material like the ones used to makes pockets definitely completes the circuit.

Just wondering if anyone with some electrical engineering or actual iPhone engineering knowledge knows anything about this.

2. NYR99 macrumors 6502a

I'm 99.99974659% positive that when the iPhone is in "sleep" mode, the digitizer is off. Also, I have never heard that touching the screen (even when it is not in "sleep" mode) would affect the charge cycle.

3. na1577 macrumors 6502a

I don't think it makes sense for the digitizer to be on when the rest of the screen is off.

4. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

the touchscreen part of the iphone...(the digitizer? idk if thats whats being referred to here, but sure why not) only reacts to skin or heat. take a verizon touch screen phone and try to click and app using ur sleeve and not ur skin. now try it with the iphone.

5. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Actually heat has nothing to do with it it's the magnetic field that the phone reacts to. That's why the iPhone stylus' work since obviously they aren't hot.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/iphone1.htm

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

The screen is a capacitive type, which means there is no circuit to complete. There is only a signal whose level is modified by proximity of a conductive object (your finger!) with capacity to steal a charge.

When it's on, the screen is using power to sequentially drive rows across the screen while the signal is read off each column. As your finger approaches, your body draws off the signal and thus can be sensed in the grid.

When the iPhone is asleep, the screen is off and no power is being used.