Can more than just iTunes use Airport Express?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Trolldavid, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Trolldavid macrumors newbie

Trolldavid

I have an Airport Express connected wirelessly to my Airport Extreme home network. The Airport Express is used to play iTunes wirelessly to the hifi and it works well, but does anyone know how to enable other media players (quicktime, vlc, bbc iplayer, firefox) to also connect and play to the Airport Express?

Currently only iTunes will connect to the Airport Express, everything else still plays through the speakers or headphone output on my MacBookPro (15", intel).

Input welcome, David

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. Trolldavid thread starter macrumors newbie

Trolldavid

4. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

I just bought Airfoil about 10 minutes ago myself and am now using it to stream kpig.com from QuickTime to my Airport Express. I also tested it with my AppleTV and it is working flawlessly. It has a 10 minute free trail but then starts adding noise to you stream after that.

Usage is extremely simple, you select your source and click a button on which destinations you want it to stream to.

I recommend installing the Instant Hijack extra before using it, it requires you to logout and back in again when installing that particular extra. Without that extra installed you have to relaunch whatever your source application is to get the streaming to work. A minor nuisance but the Instant Hijack exxtra appears to be free.

I have not noticed a single problem with quality (no dropouts or artifacts in the stream). I have kpig.com open on my MacBook connected directly to a time capsule, streaming wirelessly to a Airport Express in another room. I'm also using the Airport Express for internet access on a Linux box which i'm typing this post from.

Great App!

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

What's even cooler is that you can install Airfoil Speakers on other computers (Mac, Windows and Linux version available) and stream to them too. And all the streams stay in sync. So if you have computers/Airport Expresses in multiple rooms you can wonder around with the music staying in sync :D

6. jhsfosho macrumors 6502

Airfoil speakers is also available for iphone/ipod touch for free. Its the same concept but uses the iphone instead of another computer, airport express, or apple TV.