Can most receivers decode a AAC 5.1 signal?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by marklight, Apr 15, 2008.

1. marklight macrumors 6502

Just asking because i had a mkv file that i converted to mp4, and i preserved the audio making it aac 5.1, but I'm just wondering if most audio receivers can decode that audio stream- if say I hook my computer (MBP) up to one using an optical cable.

2. dynaflash macrumors 68020

3. NightStorm macrumors 68000

I don't know of one that has actually made it to store shelves that can decode 5.1 AAC.

4. marklight thread starter macrumors 6502

so i'm guessing this is the problem then everyone is having with retaining 5.1 surround then huh... hmmm. If i'm not going to apple tv- (im going straight from computer to receiver) is there a format that i can get say keep the ac3 audio and still import it into iTunes and add album art?

I know that .mov could probably do this (export to PCM ? can receivers even decode 5.1 PCM audio? I'd assume so)- but you can't add album art to .mov can you ? i think i tried once and failed. My audio knowledge is awful...

5. NightStorm macrumors 68000

Use Handbrake to create a m4v file (w/ AC3) and install Perian on the computer.

6. marklight thread starter macrumors 6502

how do you do this? I thought that handbrake only worked with DVD's

7. NightStorm macrumors 68000

Yes, actually it supports a variety of MPEG-2 sources now. I did not remember your source was a mkv when I posted the last comment.