Can my Blackbook play Sims 3?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by AdventurousJosh, Jul 29, 2009.

1. AdventurousJosh macrumors 6502

Just out of curiosity, can my blackbook (2.2 GHZ, 4 GB of ram, GMA x3100) play sims 3?..like at all?

2. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

the gpu is where you killed it. I don't think it supports intel gpu's and even if it did the game would be very choppy with that card. It plays nice on the new Macbook 9400m's though

3. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Yes

System requirements

Mac

ATI X1600 or Nvidia 7300 GT or Intel Integrated GMA X3100

4. AdventurousJosh thread starter macrumors 6502

sweet so it will? nice. Thanks.

5. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Yes it will.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

7. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

I wouldn't expect much. Even my old Core 2 2.8GHz desktop with DDR3 Radeon 2600 Pro barely cut it at high resolution.

Here is a Youtube video of the game running at lower settings on a Core 2 1.8 with X3100:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYvb_itcHtY

8. asphyxiafeeling macrumors regular

asphyxiafeeling

In his defense, he didn't say it was a macbook playing the sims 3. he said it was a laptop with a core2duo 1.8 and the X3100.

9. wcalderini macrumors member

If you really want it to be playable I would go the bootcamp route.
    Did a similar install on my daughters MacBook, and the results were pretty poor running it in OSX on that config. You won't set any speed records on the windows side but it is almost twice as fast and FAR less choppy and playable under XP on the same config.
    From what I have read, the MAC port of this game was pretty sketchy to begin with and I have even noticed a significant difference on my MBP when playing under Windows 7 as opposed to OSX. (Last years Aluminum model with the nVidia GT graphics processor and 256MB VRAM)

Anyway.
    Good luck.
    Boot camp is worth it in this case.

WRC

10. pica93 macrumors member

Yes i understand that, but you were giving him incorrect content by showing him that clip. As it said "this is the sims 3 running on the x3100 on low settings my laptop is acer aspire 5920 1.8 GHz core 2 duo 3 GB ram x3100 up to 358MB"

The macbook only have access to 144MB VRAM. and you have to bare in mind, Windows computer are running virus scanners and all other rubbish in the background. :)

11. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

I was not giving him "incorrect content." It was pretty clear what I was linking to.

That Acer should be similar to his MB.

I highly doubt that 144Mb video RAM versus a trillion gigs makes much difference with something as slow as the X3100.

And no one runs virus scanners in the background when playing games. No one who isn't dense anyway.

12. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

You are comparing a "Radeon" card to an Intel integrated X3100? The fact that you omit which card the Radeon is tells me that you are a complete newbie because the brand name means nothing. If actually believe that the X3100 will benefit much from having more than 144Mb of video RAM at lower resolutions (which is how the OP will be playing Sims III), then you are "dense." BTW, what video card do you have that has 2 GIGS of video memory? Seriously?

The OP never said that he was not gaming on Windows. My link to the PC game in action is perfectly relevant and was not at all misleading. All that the OP had to do was read the contents of the page, and he would know that the video was of a PC game in action, on an Acer with a 1.8GHz CPU.

What ticks me off are poseurs like you who find fault about a perfectly innocent post by me. Next time, either use more tact or simply ignore posts that anger you because you're too dense to understand the point of it.

13. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...back on topic, it will play "ok" on your blackbook...

14. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I have a friend who bought the base model Whitebook in 2007 and she can play The Sims 3 just fine.