Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
But why haven’t you guys answered me on how long it stays stored? I asked many times but never received an answer....

How long does the data stay stored stored? I can live with the fact that it’s there if it’ll be flushed soon. That’s all I need to know now.

It's impossible to know. Data retention policy is your company's IT decision.

But just so you know, it is unlikely that they are saving THE ACTUAL data you're downloading. They can see the browsing history on your VPN, and probably loads of metadata, but it's impossible for them to save a copy of all traffic through their network (unless they're specifically targeting it).

Data actually stored in your hard drive is another story.

But, please please: NO ONE in your company's IT department is interested in seeing a nude picture of your GF. Literally no one. Zero. Having to see nude pictures of random people during workhours ruins someone's day.

Reactions: mmomega

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
But why haven’t you guys answered me on how long it stays stored? I asked many times but never received an answer....
Mine holds for at least 30 days. I don't normally have a reason to hold past that length. I will usually have caught something or forgotten it by then.
Depends on how the router was set up.

If it is set to archive. It could be many months. A year. A lot of unknown.
It will probably depend on the employers stance on violations, if they do anything about, past issues, how many. Many factors can come in to play.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I have a corporate iPhone 3g. Can my employer track what web sites I visit? Can they read my text messages?
If it is a company issued aset....i would assume they know EVERYTHING that you do on the phone.
I'm sure it is in the acceptable use policy in small print somewhere dictating everything you can and cannot do with a company asset.
I would assume you do not have any privacy on a company issued asset. I would assume they can read every text and email if they choose to. I would also assume they know what websites you visit and all call logs are stored somewhere to be recalled if needed.
[doublepost=1538349499][/doublepost]

How long does the data stay stored stored? I can live with the fact that it’s there if it’ll be flushed soon. That’s all I need to know now.
[doublepost=1538340526][/doublepost]

I asked this question and your reply came in moments later. Thanks, I guess :/. They don’t even have legit autocad licenses, they’re programs always crash and everything is slow. I don’t think they have that much storage, they must flush it pretty often.
I work in IT security for a large financial firm. All of our email is archived....all of it. All traffic (emails, texts, websites) coming from my phone and laptop is logged somewhere. Doesn't mean someone is actively looking at it. But they can pull it up anytime they choose to do so.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
If it is a company issued aset....i would assume they know EVERYTHING that you do on the phone.
I'm sure it is in the acceptable use policy in small print somewhere dictating everything you can and cannot do with a company asset.
I would assume you do not have any privacy on a company issued asset. I would assume they can read every text and email if they choose to. I would also assume they know what websites you visit and all call logs are stored somewhere to be recalled if needed.
[doublepost=1538349499][/doublepost]
I work in IT security for a large financial firm. All of our email is archived....all of it. All traffic (emails, texts, websites) coming from my phone and laptop is logged somewhere. Doesn't mean someone is actively looking at it. But they can pull it up anytime they choose to do so.
Normally if it is company issued you should only be using for company business. The could ask you to hand over at any moment with no regard to what you have on it.

Reactions: jamezr

BorderingOn

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2016
BaseCamp Pro
It's impossible to know. Data retention policy is your company's IT decision.

But just so you know, it is unlikely that they are saving THE ACTUAL data you're downloading. They can see the browsing history on your VPN, and probably loads of metadata, but it's impossible for them to save a copy of all traffic through their network (unless they're specifically targeting it).

Data actually stored in your hard drive is another story.

But, please please: NO ONE in your company's IT department is interested in seeing a nude picture of your GF. Literally no one. Zero. Having to see nude pictures of random people during workhours ruins someone's day.

Right. Corporate mail servers are one thing, Internet traffic hairpinning a VPN is another. My company saves SOME packet data for use in security and fault analysis. It’s around 25 terabytes a day. Hardly unlimited or free.

gregrichards

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
You really need to have two phones. Buy whatever you can afford for a personal phone so you don’t end up in a difficult and embarrassing situation with your employer.

Reactions: AppleHaterLover

MDMac

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
McAllen, TX
Yep. As a former Mac admin for a large corporation, if your device is remotely managed, yes this is possible. Does it happen? It really depends on your company's policies. But, you know, don't give anyone a reason to come looking ;)

Reactions: jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.