Can my iPhone 4 be used as a fancy iPod now?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by porcelana, Jun 10, 2011.

1. porcelana macrumors newbie

I used to have AT&T service and was using my iPhone 4. I then decided the service was not worth it and cancelled after my contract expired. I removed the sim card and reset the iPhone because I originally planned on selling it on Ebay for a few bucks. Ironically my Zune (dont hate mac lovers lol) broke. I would now like to use my iphone4 as an alternative fancy ipod. however......its asking me to put a sim card in to activate it...and as I stated earlier - i threw that thing away :(. I dont want to use my old cell as a phone at all. I would like to just use it for music and take pictures on it. I tried looking up ways to do this -- but it seems complicated..like I would have to hack my own phone. Is there a sim card I could buy to just use my own phone this way?

2. kppolich macrumors 6502

kppolich

unlock it? use it on your new network and as a 'fancy ipod'

3. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You can either jailbreak it, which will activate it. Or just borrow a friends AT&T microsim and hook it up to iTunes to activate.

4. deadlystriker macrumors regular

deadlystriker

You can activate it with any AT&T micro sim card.

5. chrfr macrumors 603

Of course if the phone is in good condition, you can probably sell it and use the proceeds to buy an iPod touch, and have money left over.

6. wpotere Guest

Put the sim back in. If you cancelled the account the sim won't work anyway. Then you can simply plug it up and activate it to use as an iPod. I do this with my 3G currently and it works well. I just turned all the phone services off. No need to jailbreak at all.

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you really did throw the sim away, buy one off eBay. It doesn't have to be active.

8. wpotere Guest

Oops, didn't see that. Good advice. :)

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Not to worry. I had to read that part three times. It boggles my mind that the OP would chuck the inactive sim--especially since it wouldn't affect her/him.