Can my Macbook Pro handle a 2560x1440 Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jlabs, Sep 29, 2013.

1. jlabs macrumors newbie

Hello everyone!

I have decided to go with an Asus PB278Q as my display of choice. However, I want to know if my 2009 Macbook Pro could handle a massive display like this. Here are the specs of my laptop:
    [​IMG]

Things to note:
    - I am a web designer, therefore I heavily use Photoshop and Text Editing softwares.
    - Also like to have a Youtube video running while I work or generally surf around the Internet.
    - I do not game on my Macbook, however I do plan to play occasionally on my Xbox hooked up to this monitor.
    - I plan to buy the new 2013 Macbook Pro coming out next month.

Here are my questions:
    1. Will my Macbook Pro lag with this display? FYI: It already does on a 1080p display. I'd just like to know if it will worsen or will stay the same.
    2. Should I buy a Mini Displayport > Displayport cable, or a Mini Displayport > DVI (Dual Link)? I read reviews that both cables causes issue about the display not falling asleep or not waking up.

Thank you everyone for reading, and I've been researching for weeks, but could not find any answers anywhere else. I would sincerely appreciate any answers given. Have a great day everyone!

2. Giuly, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

You'd need a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort adapter cable with both your current and the 2013 MBP. If the Asus has problems falling asleep, maybe a Dell UltraSharp U2713HM is the better option. It also saves you the cable as it has one in the box.

The lag might be your 1080p display and not the Mac, but if you're going for the 2013 rMBP, it would be kinda be irrelevant whether it's the screen or the Mac anyways.

3. jlabs thread starter macrumors newbie

Please read the whole question. I didn't ask if my Macbook is compatible, I asked if my Macbook will lag or show any signs of slowing down with this display.

4. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

The lag might be your 1080p display and not the Mac, but if you're going for the 2013 rMBP, it would be kinda be irrelevant whether it's the screen or the Mac anyways.