Can my MBP run two external displays?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TWO2SEVEN, Jan 13, 2016.

1. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I am considering making my MBP my work desktop. I use two 23" Dell LEDs at work. Both have VGA and DVI inputs available. I used to use one of them at home with my MBP using a Mini Display to DVI adapter.

My questions are as follows:

Is there a way to use both external monitors? (I assume an adapter would be required since there is only one Mini DP output)

Is there a way to use both external monitors AND the built in display on the MBP all at the same time?

I know I can use one monitor and the built in display, but the 23" is much easier to use than the built in 13" for my work.

MBP Specs:
    • Early 2011 MBP
    • 2.3 GHz Intel i5
    • Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

Thanks!

2. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

Matrox Dualhead2go ME. It's the best way to do what you want. I have one. Got it used for 50 dollars and then replaced by warranty for a new one. It allows my 2014 15" rMBP to run 3 monitors, easy. The thing I like about it, is your desktop becomes one long desktop on two monitors. So keep in mind there will be no separation. The powerdesk app allows for apps to open in one monitor, or the other. Command 1 will put an app on monitor one, and cmd 2, on the second. Cmd 3 for the built in monitor.

With adapters, you can use their other models.

You can also use a USB to monitor card. I have used one in the past. They are ok to do minor tasks on, but will not run video without lag, on your model. It's not really that bad, but the chances of you finding the Dualhead for 50 bucks is slim. If you don't mind spending at least 100, go for the dualhead.

3. TWO2SEVEN thread starter macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I found this on Amazon:

USB 3.0 Dual-Head Graphics and Gigabit Ethernet Adapter Super Speed 5 Gbps Dual Video DisplayPort HDMI up to 2560x1440 DVI/ VGA to 2048x1152/ 1920x1200 Supports Windows Mac OS X Linux and Android 5.X https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YP458W2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_ou6LwbWEFP820

It looks like it will work but I think I would need to buy 2 if I wanted to use two external displays. I may be reading that wrong.

4. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

T

That's a USB card. The dualheag2go is from Matrox.

5. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502

satinsilverem2

Officially the only way to run two monitors is with two thunderbolt displays. There are several work arounds. The method listed above will work fine. A modern thunderbolt dock will also work provided one of the monitors is HDMI. You can also try one of the USB to HDMI converters but in my experience they are laggy with video and take a hit on CPU performance.

6. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

With all due respect, I don't believe a thunderbolt dock would do the trick with his model. I have the OWC T2 and it won't do it. However, he may be able to do so, with a thunderbolt monitor to thunderbolt monitor setup. But then he'd have to buy the TB monitor, the 200 dollar dock and cables.

At that rate OP, you may as well just get a double wide monitor. As a producer, when I had my 2010 Macbook, I tried everything. The Matrox is going to be your best bet. If you're just viewing documents on the second monitor, what you posted in the link will be fine. Also, make sure your macbook has thunderbolt 3.0. I'm sure the adapter will work with 2.0 though.

7. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

This is a good deal.

m.ebay.com/itm/Matrox-DualHead2Go-Dual-Digital-DVI-External-USB-Win7-Win8-Video-Card-/321952969709?nav=SEARCH

8. TWO2SEVEN thread starter macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Thank you for the advice. The one I posted will work with USB 2.0 or 3.0. My work only requires viewing documents and is not graphics intensive.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 14, 2016 ---
    This looks good, but I do not have Displayport, just Mini Display port.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 14, 2016 ---
    I may end up just staying with my Windows machine at work. Was hoping to get more use out of my MBP, but it may not be worth the trouble.

9. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

Yea it connects to mini display port. The person wrote it wrong. The ME stands for Mac Edition.