Can my MBP sleep during the battery calibration?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sergus, Apr 24, 2010.

1. sergus macrumors newbie

I just got my first Macbook pro 15" and trying to calibrate the battery. Can my MBP sleep on battery during calibration? Can i finish the process after sleep? It takes a lot of time to calibrate this device. :D
    Sorry for this newbie question and thank you in advance.

2. harmonica01 macrumors 6502

Apple does not recommend calibrating brand new battery, use it for at least a week and get some cycles on it

Charge it to full first time out the box and enjoy the computer

When you see istat telling you your battery health is not at 100% then calibrate it by running the battery to less than 3% health, shut down the computer, LEAVE IT SHUT DOWN and charge for 4 hours or so before starting it back up.

3. m85476585 macrumors 65816

During the discharge phase I would say no. While it is charging or after it is fully discharged it's OK.

If you want to discharge it faster, open Terminal and enter the following commands:
    Code:
    $ python
    >>> while 1:
    ...      i=1+1

(don't type the $, >>>, or .... They are just the prompt symbols. Make sure to hit enter twice after the i=1+1 line.)

Then open a new Terminal tab with command+t and repeat 3 more times for a total of 4 threads running (since your MBP has 2 cores + hyperthreading = 4 cores).

4. sergus thread starter macrumors newbie

But Apple mentioned that the battery should be calibrated on the first use?
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

Anyway, I do not think that calibration may destroy my battery.