Can my new MBP handle FCPX

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TSP23, Aug 1, 2014.

1. TSP23 macrumors newbie

13 Inch RMBP

2.4 GHZ
    8 GB Ram
    256 SSD

I don't want to overwork my laptop and shorten it's life span - considering I just crashed my old macbook pro last week.

2. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

3. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

You don't need to worry about overworking your computer. I had my old MBP rendering, processor going full blast for multiple days straight, and it still works fine 6 years later.

But the machine would be fine for FCPX. 8GB of RAM isn't ideal for editing video, but it'll do. You'll probably need external storage for anything more than short videos as well.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

5. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

FCPX won't be a problem, but there are some general bits of advice for ensuring the longevity of electronic parts. They tend to center around heat.

Rendering in FCPX will cause the system to work harder, thus generating more heat. That's fine: the fans will spin up to help dissipate the heat, and the casing of the computer also helps with heat dissipation. Just make sure that you're not interfering in this process. Don't keep your computer in the sun or close to another heat source. Don't stack papers or other objects on top of your computer, particularly near the back (where the fan heat vent is located). Keep your laptop on a flat surface; it has little "feet" to raise the bottom, further allowing heat to dissipate from it. If it is kept on something like a blanket or pillow, the contact with the air (and the ensuing heat dissipation) is disrupted.