Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manjaap

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2006
Hey everyone! I am planning on porting over my number from a family plan over at verizon to att for the new iPhone but since I am usually away at school, it will be easier for me to give my school address as my billing address. However my mobile number is from a different area code than my billing address. Will I be allowed to port over my number. Is it maybe possible to give a billing address and service address so I still receive my bills at school and can my home address to say I still live in the area code of my mobile number? Thanks!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm not sure, I can't see why not.

With that said, why not use google voice, that way you can pick the area code you want.

JeninNC

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2010
Surf City, NC
Yes when I upgraded to the Iphone 3GS last year my area code was different from my billing area code. I did this in the Best Buy store so you shouldn't have a problem. When I added my husband he had a 615, but we changed to the same area code I have which is again different from my billing area code...

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
I've had the same number since I've lived in upstate NY when I was in high school. I've switched carriers and moved to different cities along the east coast multiple times since then. They do not care what number you have.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I've had my DC number for the last 7 years, three of which were spent in Seattle. The only reason they'll care is if you're roaming excessively, then they'll terminate. Being at school shouldn't be a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.