can my plugged in 5 be damaged by a power outage

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bsbfan, Apr 29, 2014.

1. bsbfan macrumors member

I charged once a week overnight, even though I know it's at 100% within the hour I plug it in. So it was just sitting there, fully charged but plugged in when out of the blue there was a power outage in the neighborhood. Obviously, it made a noise indicating no power to it via the cord and it works just fine.

I was just wondering if that could cause any underlining issues soon?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It will not cause problems. It's no different than unplugging the phone when charging it.

3. magilla macrumors regular

It SHOULDN'T cause any problems, under normal circumstances but something does come to mind.

I'm assuming here that you had your fone plugged into the charger cube that Apple supplied with it originally and that was plugged into a common wall socket. While I can't speak for the overall "robustness" - spike-wise - of the Apple charging cube, there IS a possibility that it may pass transient electrical spikes through the charging cable to the fone.

If you use the charging cube directly plugged into a wall socket, there are two relatively simple things you can do to help reduce this possibility. 1) get a voltage spike reducing plug-in wall block at a local Lowe's or Home Depot, plug that into your wall socket and then plug your Apple cube into THAT or 2) again, from Lowe's or Home Depot, purchase a new wall socket replacement socket that has a built in USB charging port and replace your current wall socket with that, then plug your Lighting/USB cable directly into that.

Either of these two modes should reduce the possibility of surges being passed to your phone. Both are cheap enough to add a level of protection to the charging circuitry.

Of course this also presupposes that you're NOT leaving the phone plugged in continuously even after it's reached it's charging potential. Leaving them plugged in for more than 12 hours isn't good for the battery itself.

4. bsbfan thread starter macrumors member

How does keeping it plugged in longer than 12 hours not good forthe battery? I never had any issues. I usually plug it in at like 4 am and not unplug until like 1 am the next day on my day off. have for over a year and if I do nothing but the alarm setting on the phone, from unplugged 1 am Wednesay to about 4 am the following Tuesday, with maybe it off for Sunday/Monday, I am usually just below 30%

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

12 hours is fine for leaving the phone plugged in. Just remember that it is has a battery in and and needs to be used a few times a week.

6. Resist macrumors 68030

I'm curious why you would think there would be an issue. When your power outage happened, to your iPhone it was just as if you unplugged it.

7. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Problems are unlikely to occur on a power outage. The problems tend to happen when the power comes back because of the potential for a surge.

This is why it is always advisable to have surge protection on electronic equipment.

8. magilla macrumors regular

As another user has said, it's not the power going off that (generally) causes the problem, it's the sudden restoration of power through a non-surge protected outlet.

It's like standing under a shower head & turning on the cold water full force.

No matter when your home was built, and whatever anyone else says, electronic equipment plugged into household outlets are ALWAYS subject to some sort of problems upon the restoration of power if the outlets aren't sufficiently protected via proper grounding & surge protection.

And it's not always just a one-time shot type of thing. It can be cumulative. I'd never leave electronic equipment (printers, desktops, phones) plugged into a non-surge protected outlet.