Can my provider (e.g. O2) read my emails?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AforAndromeda, Jul 24, 2009.

1. AforAndromeda macrumors member

AforAndromeda

Hi guys,

I hope a very easy question.

Can - or does- my phone provider (O2 in the UK) have the right to read my emails, look at my MMS etc ???

I figure there are times when 'they are allowed' but I would have thought that staff could not do it just because they felt like it.

But does anyone have any definitive answer and where the answer comes from?

:confused:

Thanks

2. The Phazer macrumors 68030

They're not allowed period. It would be a breach of the data protection act to do so and a criminal offense to try without a court order.

Phazer

3. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I can imagine certain technical staff could look if they felt like it.

Then again, the contents of 99.99% of SMSs are completely inane, so watching paint dry is probably a more fulfilling activity...

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

As said in post two it requires a court order to do so then only the police or a government agency assigned to do so would be allowed to read your email and or txt. The police have automatic rights to find out if your mobile was in use if you are involved in an rta. But the information the obtain only states date and time not message contents.

However if you are suspected of terrorist activities a court order isn't required.

5. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Yes, fair point - the police can use the terrorism act without an order upfront, but woudn't in practice.

Still, O2 can't legally of their own back.

Phazer