Can my system (imac 9,1) handle lion? upgrade cost/worthwhile?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by estockme, Nov 6, 2011.

1. estockme macrumors regular

Hi all- thanks for your help. I realize there are many "should i upgrade" questions so I'll try to be specific here.

I have a 9,1 imac- 2008, 24 inch screen, 4gb mem, a bunch of space free, 2.93 core 2 duo. my roommate and i both use it--mainly for web browsing and baic word processing, but I also do some music production (ableton live) and he does some lightroom and other photo processing. we are considering lion our comp should be able to run it, aware of the vocal crowd unhappy with it but:

should i upgrade the ram to 8gb? I assume this is coming some day. is any old ram that matches my specs okay?

should i get a magic pad or something? we have the mighty moust with the side buttons and little failing ball, but i get the impression from mac stores that people are moving to the pad. personally it feels more natural to me than the magic mouse.

i'll be getting my first iphone soon, so i assume that at that point i want to upgrade to lion. just want to have some idea of what other "necessary" upgrades are going to follow it.

2. 50voltphantom macrumors regular

50voltphantom

Your machine will run lion just fine. I recommend doing a clean install, however. I'm running lion with a 2.4 GHz C2D iMac and 4GB RAM with no issues. Personally I find having a magic trackpad to be totally worth it. I got one last year and haven't used a mouse since.

3. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

FYI I am running a 2.66Ghz version of the same machine and it runs Lion fine. Upgrading the RAM is pretty cheap and makes a big difference even in Snow Leopard.

Edwin