Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

c073186

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
I have a Netgear WNDR3400 router and I have very inconsistent results when trying to connect to it. We have a PC that will connect to it okay, a Mac Pro that connects okay, and then an iPhone and MacBook - neither of which will connect. If I turn off the security settings, it will connect, so it makes me think it is an issue with the encryption type. The choices are:

WEP
WPA-PSK (TKIP)
WPA2-PSK (AES)
WPA-PSK (TKIP) + WPA2-PSK (AES)

I have no idea what any of these options mean... I am currently using the WPA2-PSK (AES) option. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to any of these?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
You definitely do not want to be using the older WEP protocol because it is fairly easy to crack. The WPA2 you have selected is your best option and is supported by any newer client device like your iPhone and Macbook.

How old are the iPhone and Macbook?

Maybe this will help you.

Comment

satcomer

macrumors 604
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
OK You have a Dual Band router. However what most people don't realize that they will not get 5 GHz speed using the 2.4 frequencies. To get the true N speed broadcast the 5 GHz signal in the router up to the high numbers (in the USA they are in the hundreds in the 5 GHz ranges). You speed will be greater for sure.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.