Can new iPhone be customized out of the box ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Darthdingo, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

I am actually possibly thinking of maybe getting the iPhone4S on Sprint, if they don't get the Nexus-Prime. Last iPhone I owned was the 3G, and that thing was a bad experience after like 6 months, started lagging and freezing, same with my brother's 3G too after a year, it was flaking out on him. So we both left for the "Nexus" line. But I am open to going back now.

One thing I LOVE about Android is the option to customize the phone right out of the box, without rooting or anything like that.

On a new iPhone4S can I replace the stock keyboard with a different one ? Or different color keyboard like all black ? Or does basic stuff like that need a jailbreak ?

2. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Easy, simple answer. No

4. Lemmiwinkles macrumors newbie

That level of customisation will require a jailbreak (if that's even possible).

5. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

Pretty much if you want to do anything more than change the wallpaper you need to jailbreak.

6. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Seriously ? That is a big downer for me. Why not allow such basic customizations, as different keyboard, different SMS options, silly ringtones, etc... ? More options the better.

7. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

Well you can change ringtones and stuff like that, I was talking about actual themes that makes the UI look different. Jailbreaking isn't that difficult and you can customize everything if you do.

8. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

After your experience with the older models you don't have the answer????

Apple products just work.....until you customize them. :D

9. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

My 3G was stock, never jailbroken, same with my Brother's. And after less than a year, they both had issues.

10. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

My biggest thing I like is a custom keyboard. Never cared for the iPhone keyboard too small. I love the HTC Sense keyboard layout, I have had Samsung phones too and did not like theirs either. But a $1.99 app "Smart Keyboard" lets me install a custom keyboard, and options for iPhone layout, HTC, Samsung, Motorola, etc...and then different colors/themes too, all on stock Android phone.

Wish the iPhone allowed that kind of simple customization, out of the box.

11. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

they do allow "silly ringtones"

this quote from steve jobs pretty much sums up why you can't customize iPhones: "It's really hard to design products by focus groups. A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them"

12. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I understand Jobs philosophy there, keeps the system in check without a ton of third parry buggy apps. But I like options. Not just being told what I should like.

At least offer options built into the OS. Like themes and different style for certain functions. That would be cool.

13. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

So to wrap this up, I take it the iPhone is not for those who like to customize beyond what the phone ships stock ? Oh well, that's a bummer. Might just stick with Android then, make my decision once the Nexus-Prime is revealed.

14. IXDoubleDXI macrumors regular

My last 3 phones were Android, the latest being the Nexus S 4G. The Customizations are nice, but I'm gonna jump back to iOS as i'm tired of freezing/restarting/horrible battery life. Yes, it was rooted, using the Oxygen ROM with tweaked power settings, still horrible battery life. Doesn't hurt that there are a lot more "non-garbage" apps in the Apple App Store too.

15. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

It's an Apple product. Aside from wallpaper, you get no customization.

16. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow you and I have the exact same phone. I also have the Nexus-S 4G on Sprint, and rooted with Oxygen the best ROM. this phone is rock solid stable. NEVER crashed on me. A d I gut close to a full day use. On heavy business days maybe 8 - 10 hrs.

You think the iPhone4S will be a radically better smartphone ? Honestly would like your opinion here please.

Thanks

17. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

That sucks. Will have to wait for untethered jailbreak I guess, before I decide to get the iPhone4S then