Can New MacBook Dual Boot Windows?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cinealta, Mar 10, 2015.

1. cinealta macrumors 6502

Does anyone know if the new MacBook can dual boot into Windows (7, 8 or 10)? Or is the Intel Core M processor not powerful enough to support it, or the 256 SSD unable to be partitioned to support it. Or any other reasons blocking it? Thx!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I see no reason why it wouldn't be able to fully support Boot Camp or virtualization applications.

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I'm sure it can, in fact there are already Windows laptops that contain the Core M.

4. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Of course it can. It's a full laptop. you've been reading too many of those people on here making it seem like anything less. If a $229 HP laptop from Best Buy can run windows, you better believe this one can!

Here's food for thought:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...lver/8636102.p?id=1219357504926&skuId=8636102

For $1299, you get the exact same specs as the Macbook, but made by Lenovo, out of cheap plastic without the new trackpad, without the USB-C technology, and without OS X... so to anyone who says it's priced above the market, do yourself a favor and do a bit of research, as it's priced very well.

5. newellj macrumors 601

But...but...but it has...PORTS! ;) Just kidding. (Even has a 2.0 port, not kidding *yawn*) I don't see any runtime quoted for the battery - I must have missed it (seriously)? Your point is very well made. It takes a bit to think of Apple as a value-leader in this category...

6. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Yeah... for a long time people have been complaining about Apple products being expensive, but in reality they're not. If you compare like-specs... be it a consumer laptop, or an iPhone, spec for spec they're pretty on par with the rest of the industry.

The exception to this is the pro laptops, and iPads... they do come at a heftier price than comparable models from other manufacturers with similar specs. But if you hold one made by Dell in one hand, and one made by apple in the other, it closes the gap in price-per-spec rather quickly.. ;-)

7. mjs402 macrumors 6502

Yep.

Yes it can.

http://www.apple.com/macbook/osx/

Right near the bottom of the page it shows Windows (albeit an intentional ugly colouring scheme) running on the Retina-MacBook.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

9. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

And in windows you can set the GPU clock speeds to the max, and get the most performance out of it. I wonder how it would handle it. Would it get very hot?

10. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

It likely be throttled automatically anyway so no point unless you're connecting an external fan to the US... scratch that thought, but according to preliminary report on other Windows Core M devices it tends to get hot and throttle often.