Can no longer connect via SSH on one Mac, but can on all others.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by marcamos, Jun 8, 2009.

1. marcamos macrumors newbie

Long time Mac user; newb at this forum, though. Here's my predicament and Google hasn't turned up anything I understand:

- I've got a MBP running latest Leopard
    - My wife has a MB running the same
    - I pay for a web-server with SSH access
    - I have a standard internet connection at home
    - I have a standard internet connection at my office

I've been able to connect to the webserver, via SSH, for the longest time from my own MBP. All of a sudden, and I can't pin-point exactly when, my MBP gets the following message when I type "ssh root@mydomainname.com" in Terminal.app:

ssh: connect to host mydomain.com port 22: Connection refused

So, it's not my credentials, but access altogether, it seems.

"Okay, so my webhost closed SSH access, I'll give them a call." Nope, they say it isn't closed and that they can connect just fine.

I send an instant message to a friend, ask him to type in "ssh root@mydomainname.com" in his instance of Terminal.app, and he gets through just fine, and is asked for the password.

"Okay, so it's my network here in the office." So, I take my MBP home and try it from there. Same issue. I walk five feet over to my wife's MB, and it works perfectly: I am asked to enter my password.

So, I go through my system preferences, note the firewall preference, which is set to "Allow all incoming connections," and I am baffled. Any ideas why only my Mac won't connect via port 22, and what else I should inspect?

Thanks, all.

2. marcamos thread starter macrumors newbie

I figured out the problem. Using MAMP, I had set a domain mask to be the very same domain of my external web server. SO ... Terminal was attempting to SSH into my local computer (which I didn't know), and, because Remote Login is turned off, over in System Preferences, it was denying me.

Remove the domain mask in MAMP, and viola, I can SSH into my web server again.