Can no longer connect with Back to my Mac

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Akuratyde, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Akuratyde macrumors regular

I work from home most of the week so being able to connect to my iMac at work is essential. I have Back to my Mac setup on both machines and never had a problem connecting before I installed Mavericks. However, after the upgrade I'm completely unable to connect using Back to my Mac. I haven't changed any settings on my end and I even turned it off on both machines and re-enabled it but it didn't resolve the issue. Does anyone know a possible fix for this? Thanks in advance.

2. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

Your situation may be different from mine but:

1) if your home iMac uses ethernet

and

2) if you have iTunes running on the home iMac

and

3) if your iMac's iTunes is setup to wifi sync with any of your iDevices

then

There is a bug where the IPv6 address will be lost when trying to use back to my mac.

But, in the general sense, back to my mac does indeed work. Make sure your router is set to IPv6 local-link as well as your iMac's network connection.

3. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

Does a reboot on either machine work? I'm having the same issue, and if I reboot either machine back to my mac works fine again until I move to a different location. Coming from work to home I can't connect to the shared drives but screen sharing works fine. Going from home to work generally means I can't access either shares or screen, but VNC connection works fine.

A reboot fixes the problem until I move again. Frustrating :confused:

4. Akuratyde thread starter macrumors regular

What an odd bug. That's not what's causing my situation as I don't have any of my devices set to wirelessly sync with iTunes.

It is at home, I have no idea what it's set to at work since I don't have control over those settings. It worked fine before the update to Mavericks and I haven't changed any settings so I feel like it's something Mavericks related.

Nope, a reboot does nothing. Good luck finding a solution to your situation, that sounds very frustrating.