Can No Longer Edit iCal In Leopard (Solved)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CartoonChess, Jan 7, 2008.

1. CartoonChess macrumors member

Hello,

Unfortunately, my Leopard upgrade was a messy one. Without going into details, I had to do a lot of hacking together of old files into the new system and changing a lot of permissions by hand based on best guesses.

As it stands, iCal functions normally enough, except I can't change anything. That is, I cannot add, edit, or remove events, to dos, or anything. It's not that they're read-only, just that adding an event isn't reflected in the iCal widget and closing then reopening iCal shows none of the changes were saved.

So far I've tried moving ~/Library/Calendars, ~/Library/Application Support/iCal, ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/iCal, and four plist files from ~/Library/Preferences. The preferences clearly reset and so did the calendars (all looked like a first-time setup), but the problem of iCal not saving changes remains.

Any thoughts? I'd prefer a fix that doesn't involve a fresh Leopard installation. Thanks a bunch.

2. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

3. CartoonChess thread starter macrumors member

Repaired permissions last night (man that takes forever in Leopard) to no avail. Confirmed, however, that iCal is fine and dandy under other user accounts. Any ideas?

4. CartoonChess thread starter macrumors member

I tried rebooting for kicks, but nothing. So then I decided to add a to do using Mail, and it created it under my IMAP account. I tried to get it to go to On My Mac but it said no calendars existed there, so it created a new one for me. This new calendar and its to dos show up in iCal, but they cannot be edited there. Very peculiar.

This seems to mean that the calendar store (or however that's working in Leopard) is okay under my account, and iCal (obviously a shared application) is okay under other accounts. But iCal doesn't work under this account. Odd.

Update: I had exported all of iCal's data before wiping it, and decided just now to restore it. It shows up in iCal and sticks, but again, cannot be edited there (although Mail can edit the to dos). So somehow, it's just editing in iCal that doesn't work. Importing and exporting work.

5. CartoonChess thread starter macrumors member

There may not be a solution yet, but the problem at least has been identified. It's the Birthdays calendar. For whatever reason, turning it off makes everything work again. Turning it on kills it all.

So, sorry to spam the boards but, on a limb, anyone have any clue on what's going on here? Thanks!

Update: This'll be the last bit. By deleting the calendars one by one, it turned out the Birthdays calendars was the issue. Then I deleted all contacts in the Address Book with birthdays, and everything was okay again. So I brought everyone back and narrowed it down to one problem card. I cleared their birthday and reentered it, and now everything is fine. Why? No idea. But hopefully this helps anyone with a similar problem.