Can Non-Touchbar Run Camtasia/PPT

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AnatomyProf, Nov 18, 2016.

1. AnatomyProf macrumors newbie

AnatomyProf

I was wondering if anyone with the non-touch version is running Camtasia and PowerPoint. This will be my primary work. My 2011 iMac (27", but no dgpu) did the great until it died. My loaner 2009 MacBook (4GB) can't. It runs Camtasia with Keynote or just off screen, but crashes with PPT. I'm considering going without touch bar, but it must do this task for the life of the machine. I don't need to do speedy processing of 4K video or anything like that, but wonder if the possibility of an external GPU may be enough future proofing.

2. AnatomyProf thread starter macrumors newbie

AnatomyProf

I am also wondering, if I go with the non-touchbar, should I upgrade to the 2.4 GHz or stick with the base model. I think the i7 has hyper threading. Would that decrease my video processing time, or will having the same on-board GPU mean that performance will be similar. It seems like the 2.4 GHz outperforms the 2.0 GHz quite a bit in the benchmarks I've seen but I'm not sure that will translate into processing Camtasia videos for upload.

3. mattukulele macrumors newbie

mattukulele

Can you link to where you saw the benchmark differences? I'm interested in getting a NTB i7 as well.

4. AnatomyProf thread starter macrumors newbie

AnatomyProf

https://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks
    That's one place anyway. It shows the 2.4 outperforming some of the touch bar versions. 2.0 is further down.
    https://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/1068887
    https://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/1086539

both say 4 threads for the 2 cores. I'm not sure if there really is a difference between them other than the GHz

5. mattukulele macrumors newbie

mattukulele

Wow, that's really encouraging. The 2.4 on the NTB outperforms the 2.9 on the TB? Does this translate to real world usage, I wonder.

6. AnatomyProf thread starter macrumors newbie

AnatomyProf

I don't know. I've been looking for a real world comparison, but haven't found one.
    I'm leaning that way, but I could handle saving the $200 for dongles etc...

7. jerryk macrumors 68020

I ran Camtasia/Powerpoint with my 2015 15" rMPB. I can't imagine the new MBPs would have an issue.

8. AnatomyProf thread starter macrumors newbie

AnatomyProf

Thanks. I figured as much. It just seems like PPT is resource intensive. Its probably the 4GB ram on the 2009 MacBook that makes the difference.