Can not afford IP4S, Will Iphone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NextGenApple, Oct 10, 2011.

1. NextGenApple macrumors regular

Be good for me? As thats all i can afford at the moment, cant keep up with the joneses lol. at uni at the moment and it's costing a lot. Need to replace a BB What differences will i miss out on apart from Siri, is the A5 that much better than A4 processor. Plz give me pros and cons and if the ip4 is still a good phone.

Thanks in Advance

2. vachargerfan macrumors regular

3. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

Have you try going to the Apple site and compare?

http://www.apple.com/iphone/#

Apple and some press (in theory) are the only ones that actually used the new IPhone4S. Most of us only read about it. The best source of info at this moment is the Apple site and compare yourself.

4. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

If you are spending the amount on the 4 wh not spending a little more on the 4s

The 4 is an amazing phone still and is pretty fast itself

5. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

Not trying to be a jerk, but if you say you can't afford the $100 difference between a new 4S and the 4, how can you afford the expensive monthly cell phone charges? Owning a cell phone is an expensive proposition and can cost up to $2000 through a typical 2 year contract. Have you budgeted for this?

6. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Just buy an iPod Touch and use skype for calling.

7. jadot macrumors 6502

jadot

Gat an iPod Touch - you'll be able to do most of what the iPhone can do, but won't have to pay a monthly bill.
    Get a crappy phone on a pay as you go sim if you want to call people.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

$100 is more to some than it is to others but in my opinion, if you're not interested in or do not feel some dying need to buy the iPhone 4s then don't buy it. The iPhone 4 is a highly capable and still very nice phone. Many I'm talking to are upgrading simply because of the camera. I think that's silly but that's just me.

9. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

That's not a fair question...I can certainly afford a $50 pen, but doesn't mean I can justify spending $50 on it.

People have certain thresholds on spending money on things. When I got my iPhone on an early upgrade, I couldn't justify spending 33% more money on the iPhone 4 over the 3GS. The 3GS suited my needs. And with the money I saved, I bought myself a case & paid for my data plan for 6 months.

Sure I didn't have the latest & greatest but that doesn't bother me.

OP - the iPhone 4 is a great phone. If it suits your needs, go for it.

10. NextGenApple thread starter macrumors regular

Mummy does not pay my bills, i work like nice things but to be honest don't want to shell out the difference to get the 4s, its the same design, i will not use siri and you still cant tell me how much difference i will see in speed considering i wont play games on it will the A5 benefit me. I want valid reason why the 4s will help me compared to the 4 before i considerer 4s.

Thanks for the replies people. Didn't expect much as i'm talking about the 4 so it makes me poor in some peoples eyes, far from it.

----------

Thank you, we are on the same page.

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

See http://9to5mac.com/2011/10/10/iphone-4s-its-really-twice-as-fast-siri-supports-raise-to-speak/ in case it helps.

I expect better assessments will become available when the phones are in more people's hands. You're the only one who can really make the judgement call as to whether any speed increases are worth the price difference to you.

12. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

It will absolutely suit your needs, especially since you specified you're not huge into games and Siri. It's a great phone and the A5 will not be a huge benefit from your taking your usage into consideration. The 4 also has a great camera.

I'm a student like you and would not even consider upgrading if my i4 hadn't gotten stolen. At this point, I'm thinking since a 16GB iPhone 4 is running me $149, I might as well get the 4S for $50 more (I know I'll need 16gigs minimum).

13. I8P'CS, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011

I8P'CS macrumors 6502

By what you like/can afford/ feel is good for you, Some people just have to have the latest and greatest even if their current phone is doing a great Job for them, Some have parents pay for it, some pay themselves some steal/scam. Never watch anyone else as you never know how they acquired those goods.

Do not feel inferior to any body in this world over a mobile phone, fact ia anyone can have a great mobile phone nowadays. The iPhone 4 is a great phone speedy and can handle most task thrown at it, The A5 chip will be 2x faster when loading things like apps, not that much faster as the 4 is fast now, if you play games then that's when a5 will help you a great deal.

Who will know you have a 4 anyway if you get it in white? only you. Apple have great products you chose when to buy don't let people pressure you, Cheers Lady or/Pal

Ps Even the late great Steve Jobs drove an 06 Sl 55, he wasn't upgrading yearly, each to their own really i

14. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

As a person who refuses to sign a contract to get a subsidized iPhone, I totally see your pain. With used iPhone 4's coming out on Kijiji, CL, etc, I think it can totally be good for you. It might not be the latest, but still a very nice device and You can probably pick it up almost half the price of an unsubsidized 4S.

15. sumone macrumors regular

I think most folks on here gave great advice.

I'm in a similar boat as you. I'm looking to upgrade my 3G and i'm not exactly sure which direction to go in. I could have upgraded my phone back when the iPhone 4 was released but I wasn't that impressed and my 3G was working just fine. I decided to wait for the next phone in hopes that it would have more of the features I was looking for unfortunately the iPhone 4s has fallen short of my expectations.

I can't hold on to my 3G any longer aside from the fact that it won't be able to run iOS5 the phone is starting to stall tremendously. While I could pay for the iPhone 4s i'm not that interested in the new features to shell out the extra cash. However, at the same time i'm saying to myself if i'm going to get a new phone that I intend to keep for the next few years I probably should get the latest. But then again i'm not sure if I want an iPhone at all because I really don't particularly care for the 4 or the 4s. Basically i'm not quite sure what I want to do.

I think you and I both should just wait this out a little longer before making a decision. As some one else mentioned wait until the iPhone 4s gets into more hands. From experience when ever a new tech device comes out everyone clamors to get it because its the latest and greatest. If you can get past they hype without jumping on the bandwagon I think it will be a lot easier to make a decision based on what's best for you.

16. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

When iOS6 comes out, you will wish you had the 4S.

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't pay any attention to these things until people, real users, get the phones in their hands.

If you're holding a 3G or 3Gs, the move to an iPhone 4 or 4s is going to be amazing.

18. bryanjc macrumors regular

iPhone is an amazing phone, you will wonder how you ever survived without it.

http://appleinterests.com/2011/05/13/iphone-4-still-the-greatest-gadget-ever-made/

19. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Depends what ou would use for it

It depends usage a lot of the time... Things like the a5 chip would be really useful for me for example as I use the Internet alot. I know the A5 chip is amazing on the iPad 2.

20. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

21. Steelers7510 macrumors 6502

Steelers7510

Most down to earth post I have read all day. You sir are a good man.

22. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Why thank you! ;)

23. NextGenApple thread starter macrumors regular

So are you saying its slow on the IP4? as the A5 is 2x faster thats not that much (i think), but your implying the ip4 is slow when browsing, something i will want to do. Surly i would see the benefits in A5 while gaming more so than on he net.

Can someone plz enlighten me a bit more about this A5 and browsing

24. SiMBa37 macrumors regular

saintforlife nailed it.

If you are buying a carrier locked phone on contract, the extra $100 for the 4S is just a drop in the bucket compared to the $2500+ you will pay over 2 years for just the service/data contract alone. Already the 4S is shown to be double the (web browsing) speed. The camera is a huge leap beyond the iPhone 4, and we'll see more evidence of that as the months go on.

You say that you will not use Siri, but how do you know? Siri is in beta now, and you can bet that Apple has a lot more features planned for it. The A5 will help make this phone last you at least 2 years minimum.

The whole pricing phone is a really marketing gimick and you have to really understand that. The carriers are really making their money on your service contract, which you will be paying regardless.

My strongest advice, take some time to save the extra $100, and get the 4S. What matters to you more, the best smartphone on the market for $2700 including your 2 year contract, or settle for last year' slower model for $2600?

See the chart below:
    [​IMG]

25. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

save

Save for the 4S, the price difference is worth it. You will have the phone for two years may as well get something current. You could sell your BB too aftert you get your new phone,.