Can not authenticate also can not boot to cd when restart

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by miksta, Nov 2, 2007.

1. miksta macrumors newbie

HELP!!

I'm really hoping someone can help me! I recently upgraded to a new macbook - so my old intel imac is going to a family member.
    When I was trying to change the administrator I made it his name and no password - thinking he can set that up later. I clicked the lock to save the settings and never thought a thing more. Then I was trying to install a program and it asked me to authenticate - I tried his name and no password - didn't work - so I tried my old username and password - still nothing. Then I read on Apple.com that you can reset the admin and password by booting into the install disc. I have both leopard and tiger install discs. I held down the C key while restarting and nothing - still im booted into os. I tried tapping the C key consistantly while it booted and still nothing. I read up and found out there are two other ways to reboot using cd.

1. go into system settings and then click startup disc and select the cd - but needs me to authenticate.

2. was to hold down this really stupid combo of command +option +shift + delete to skip the HDD when booting - tried this with both cds many times - still i get booted into the OS.

WHAT can I do?? I'm going nuts trying to sort this out. I have to deliver this to the new owner next weekend. Can I format without stupid authentication?

Hoping someone out there knows a way around this.

I would be extremely grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Miksta.

2. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

Try holding down the "C" key during restart with the CD in the drive. That should do it.

3. miksta thread starter macrumors newbie

I already explained that holding C down doesn't work.

it still boots into the OS

4. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

Sorry, didn't see that. Are you using an Apple keyboard or a third party keyboard? I had a similar problem with it not picking up my commands using the 3rd party keyboard. I then used an old Apple USB keyboard and it did the trick.

5. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Have the CD in the drive, hold down OPTION (ALT) while before the chime and hold it till it gives you the list to choose from. The CD should show up then click that and it should boot into it.

6. miksta thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks both for your feedback.

I was using the new slimmer keyboard - as soon as I plugged my old chunky mac keyboard in it boots to cd pressing down the "c".

Not sure why this didn't work with my new keyboard - as it is made by mac?!? Strange. Anyway problem sorted. Thanks. :)