Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hoanghn2908

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
Hi everyone, i am using mac 10.9.5. I had downloaded Mac OS 10.10 from apple store, i restored it to a USB. And after that i do a clean install but when i press option. they do not show the USB? i can not boot from USB. Anyone can help me? Thank

PS : my mac is macbook pro 15 mid 2012

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Hi everyone, i am using mac 10.9.5. I had downloaded Mac OS 10.10 from apple store, i restored it to a USB. And after that i do a clean install but when i press option. they do not show the USB? i can not boot from USB. Anyone can help me? Thank

PS : my mac is macbook pro 15 mid 2012

I have the same problem with my macbook 2010. It won't show or boot from usb drive when holding option at startup. However it works fine on my Imac.

The only way I have been able to boot from an external usb drive on my macbook is to boot up the internal OS then go to System Preferences > Startup disk - choose usb drive and click restart.

hoanghn2908

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
I have the same problem with my macbook 2010. It won't show or boot from usb drive when holding option at startup. However it works fine on my Imac.

The only way I have been able to boot from an external usb drive on my macbook is to boot up the internal OS then go to System Preferences > Startup disk - choose usb drive and click restart.

i am trying the way you tell me. hope it work. apple take more our control to do what we want with our mac

----------

Well both of you have not made your usb properly.

Here is the thread to do it the correct way: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1801963/

i restore the usb by Disk Utility, i see no error. but when start up i hold option button, it not show my USB to install.

hoanghn2908

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
Well don't restore with disk utility.

Use my instructions instead.

hey i work well for me. thank. but i have a question with file dmg which download from torrent, when i mount it, how to write the command restore it. Thank

PS : usb will name Untitled

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.