Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spf2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
7exas
I can not for the life of me to get into open firmware. I have tried the CMD + Opt + O + F before the chime, after the chime, and during power up. I know the keyboard buttons work since it works when it boots into OSX. Tried PRAM reset but that does not even work either. I researched and found that maybe the open firmware had been locked. I tried running Open_Firmware_Password.dmg and it does not even load. OS is 10.4.11 / iBook G4 1.3. What am I doing wrong ?

I am trying to reload the OS using USB.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I am using the iBook G4 keyboard.
Hmmm…strange. The keys work correctly otherwise?

Nevermind, you said they did.

Stupid question, but you are holding the keys down right? Not just simply pressing them and letting them go?

spf2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
7exas
I hold them until OSX loads. I did not know there was a wrong way to hold the keys down. I push them all the way down.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I hold them until OSX loads. I did not know there is was a wrong way to hold the keys down. I push them all the way down.
No, no wrong way. Just some people think it's a push once kind of deal. My wife for instance, once in a while.

Anyway, do you have a wired keyboard? You shouldn't have to use one. I don't know why your keys aren't working, but if you do, I'd try that and see what happens.

spf2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
7exas
I'll give that a try tonight when I get home. I don't have a mac keyboard available.

spf2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
7exas
Ok.. this is weird.. I was checking the keyboard keys. What is the order of keys on the bottom most left?

Mine is : [ctrl][option][fn][apple/command]

Online: [fn][ctrl][option][apple/command]

Solved. The keys somehow were replaced/moved into the wrong location by the previous owner.

Last edited:
Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thats great. What kind of keyboard do you have, none of the Apple keyboards I have (shown in this thread) have a fn key.
OP is speaking of the built in keyboard. ;)

However, for the sake of completeness, the Apple keyboards that come in metal with the white keys have a shorter model (without the keypad). That shorter model has a FN key.

MLA22LL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.