Can not change system files (PNG's) in iOS4?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Baggy Spandex, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Baggy Spandex macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

First off, I absolutely stay away from WinterBoard, so that's not an option...

When on 3.1.2 with my 3GS, I was able to customize the battery images on the lock screen when charging. I used the png's from the "Battery Colors" package in Cydia. Basically, it's a fade from red when empty, to various greens when charging all the way to blue when fully charged. I tried reinstalling these PNG files through iPhone explorer and they wouldn't take(?). The files are all named appropriately and I overwrote the factory ones just like I did in 3.1.2.

Anyone else have the same/similar issues?

2. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

odd. I want to do the same. I hope it's just an isolated instance.

Anyone coders here know the reason?

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Most images have now been moved to a single encrypted file System/Library/Frameworks/UIKit.Framework/Shared.artwork. This is loaded into memory as a single cache file so that the system doesn't have to call each image individually. I understand that it may be possible to decrypt this file, replace a .png, and re-encrypt it, but I don't know of anyone who has done it. Any replacement image file would have to be exactly the same size as the image it replaced. Sadly, Winterboard is really the only practical option.

4. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

good info, Thanks for that.

5. Baggy Spandex thread starter macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

Thanks for the information. I'm surprised this kind of thing hasn't been discussed too much yet.

It's strange because everything seems to be in the same places still. I think it was /system/coreservices/sprinboard.app or something to that effect. All the files were listed the same as they were ion 3.1.2, but from what I gather from your post it's loaded in differently.

6. gh0stryt3r macrumors newbie

My dock is jacked up now. I replaced the sbdock.png and sbdock2.png files and everything is shifted now. Anyone know what file in SpringBoard.app to should be modifed to fix this?

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Perhaps you should just put the original files back. Hope you backed them up.

8. gh0stryt3r macrumors newbie

@dhlizard - normally I do, but I spaced off and clickity click with winscp and they were gone...
    If founds some at http://www.hackthatphone.com/2x/graphics_locations.html but the sbdock.png there must be a 3.1.x version, cuz everything is still out of proportion. If I knew the dimensions, I could resize the png's I have now.

I can always restore it, but ideally I'd like to ahold of the individual files for iOS4.
    Guess some people have to learn the hard way... <@:)

9. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Apparently you do :rolleyes:

10. gh0stryt3r macrumors newbie

I copied/renamed SBDockMask.png to SBDockBG.png and everything looks normal. :D