Can not eject disk, remount instantly

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sssrgg, May 25, 2010.

1. sssrgg macrumors newbie

I am having problem to eject an external flash drive in my MacBook. After I eject the disk, the icon disappears normally, but re-appears instantly before I plug it out from the USB hub. So, every time I end up with an irritating warning sign.

Is there a way to stop remounting a disk once it is ejected from the system?

The flash drive I am having problem is actually not a generic flash drive but a mp3 player manufactured by Iriver - Iriver T5, which also work as a flash drive for me and a cross-plateform disk space for use in emergency.

I do not have this problem with other dedicated flash and external drivers.

Please share if you have any solution or thoughts toward the solutions. Thank you

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Open Terminal and type "killall Finder", then try again.

Does it always do this?

3. sssrgg thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried, but no luck. It reappears always. Do you know what triggers the detection of new hardware plugged in the Macbook USB hub? Probably, there is a bug in that. I guess it fails to store the hardware identity that is recently ejected, and therefore remount the same hardware instantly. If there is way to check or tweak this system, it might fix the problem, but it needs much deeper understanding of how device controller works, which I do not have.