Can not get full resolution on 30in display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by berya, Apr 26, 2010.

1. berya macrumors newbie

Hello,

Can somebody please advise on what the problem might be.

I connected my new macbookpro17 to brand new Dell 3008WFP using display port from monoprice. I then kickoff windowsxp thru fusion but the best resolution I can get is 2048-1536.

I need to run it at full resolution. Can anybody help.
    tks

2. hamlinspahn macrumors regular

30in

The 30" cinema display requires dual DVI to achieve full display, the only Mac product that does that is a Mac Pro.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Did you install the VMware Fusion drivers?

Please do research before you reply; all MacBook Pros since 2006 have been able to output 2560x1600. For that matter, all Intel iMacs, MacBook Pros, Mac Pros, Late-2008 (and later) MacBooks, Early-2009 (and later) MacBook Airs, and Early-2009 Mac minis can output 2560x1600; some just require the proper adapters.

4. berya thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I did not. Do you know where I can find them. Laptopvideo2go.com or vmware fusion site itself?

tks

5. tommyknockrs macrumors newbie

You might have to make sure that you have a Dual Link adapter

6. coloursinmyhead macrumors newbie

guys it looks like he's running in fusion. so OP is os x running in full resolution? we need to determine that before we can figure out if it's a driver issue. either way install the vmware tools drivers, it's a menu option in the vmware client once the os is booted.

7. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

Coloursinmyhead: OSX can't be running in full resolution. His computer can't support a display that large without the proper adapter.

You have to have a dual link dvi adapter from apple. Make sure that you get the latest revision of it, apples had a few generations of it. The new ones work the best. I have a new one listed on amazon. hint hint. lol

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

As quoted from VMware's site:

To manually install VMware Tools:

1. Click Removable devices > CD\DVD.
    2. Select Use disk image.
    3. Browse to and select the .iso image. The default location is Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > your VMware product > iso images.
    4. Click Apply and OK.
    5. Open My Computer in the guest operating system.
    6. Double-click the CD drive and install VMware Tools.
    7. Verify the installation is successful by checking to see if there is a VMware tools icon on your task bar.
    8. Click Removable devices > Disconnect.

The Dell 3008 does not need the adapter; it has a native DisplayPort interface so all that is needed is a miniDP to DP adapter (which the OP has).

9. berya thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! Only took 1/2 a day (LOL :)). Big props to Alphaod who was the first to suggest to update the drivers. I had uninstalled the vmware tools 4, 5 months ago and stopped using them completely (had an issue with a cd writer driver from fusion not fast enough for macbookpro). Totally forgat vmware tools even contained the drivers. Thought I had the updated ones :eek:

Now the monitor is working as designed!, at it's full resolution, and it's beautiful!

Tks for all the replys guys.

P.S Now I have to fix the cd writer driver or more like switch to a slower speed.

10. berya thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. All you need with the new Dell 3008 is this cable for under $10 instead of the dual dvi one for $99 which seems to give lots of problems.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=1024606&p_id=6007&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

P.S. Alphaod really knows his stuff!