Can not install Leopard on Macbook due to resource Error

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by niffo, Dec 20, 2007.

1. niffo macrumors newbie

Here is the story...
    1) I bought a macbook in early november which came with Tiger
    2) Box was stolen almost immediately after I bought it. I only have the charger and macbook. No discs what so ever.
    3) The macbook had Tiger on it.
    4) I finally wanted to upgrade to Leopard so I went and bought an off the shelf Leopard disc. (didn't realize i could order replacements)
    5) When I stuck the disc in it said it could not install Max OSX on this macbook because I did not have the right resources. Then it directed me to read the minimum requirements [it has all the min reqs... 1g ram, 80g hd, etc]
    6) So i took it into one mac store and they had the same issue and were pretty shocked. after 2 hours of trying to help they said I need the discs that came with my macbook so go order some
    7) Then i took it to the other mac store a little further away and they concluded it was a bad harddrive.
    8) they fixed the bad harddrive, got me going with leopard and everything is fine.
    9) I decided to put my retail OSX disc in and it says the same error that I got way before about the resource error.
    10) I am done talking to mac geniuses and I want to talk to someone who know what is going on... I tried my buddies retail disc and it said the same thing.

Any thoughts of what it could be?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's tricky to say... Do you have access to another MacBook's install discs you could borrow to run the Apple Hardware Test from?

3. niffo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply... I am out of the country and won't be back to my macbook for a bit, but I did talk to Apple and they are sending me Tiger Discs and an Upgrade Leopard disc that should be exactly what I should have received in my box. What exactly should i do with these discs when I get them? What will the hardware test tell me? I would assume once they installed my new hard drive they did that test, but I guess assumumptions are a bad idea.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The Apple Hardware Test analyses various components for failure. There's a chance it may find a component that is causing this. Simply boot from the install discs whilst holding D to access the tests.