can not install mac os x on my macbook 2009

Discussion in 'macOS' started by abobakkr, Sep 30, 2010.

1. abobakkr macrumors newbie

now i am trying to install mac os x 10.6.3 from original CD belongs to anther macbook 2009 and and it can not pass a message that have a title says that
    "mac os x can't be installed on this computer ."
    and the content of the message is "if you want to restore your system from a time machine backup click "restore from backup"
    hint the message have two tabs
    first tab is restore from backup
    and the second tab is restart
    then when i click restore from backup then click continue and then give me no backup
    and i am terribly disturbed , i can not install snow leopard on my 2009 macbook
    please any help will be very appreciated

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You can't use the gray install discs that came with another machine on any other model. They only work with the model they ship with.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

System disks are keyed to the Macs that it came from, so you cannot use it on a different machine

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

If the 10.6.3 disks are the original ones that came with another computer, you will not be able to install on your other computer unless it also shipped with exactly the same OS version. You will need YOUR original disks, or a retail SL copy.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you're trying to use the disk that shipped with another computer, then it wouldn't surprise me that it doesn't work, it's probably the wrong version use the one that shipped with your computer. If you are actually using your original disk then I'm not sure why it isn't working.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's incorrect. Its not the version that's messing him up but rather that apple keys the disk to the type of mac. So a system disk for a Macbook won't work on a MBP even if the version of OSX is identical.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

And to add to that, the grey Restore DVDs will only work with the same model they came with, thus if they came with a MacBook Pro 5,1 , the will not work with a MacBook Pro 5,2 or 4,2 or any other model.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can't use restore discs from another machine with your machine. It has to be the exact same model, which apparently it is not. You need a retail copy of SL.

9. Fishrrman macrumors G3

As other posters have noted, if the two Macs aren't the same, you probably can't use the install disc from one to install OS X on the other.

I can think of something that _might_ work, or it may not. The only way to know for sure is to try it. This will work ONLY if both have firewire ports.

Goes like this:
    1. You will need the OTHER Mac (the one that the original OS X install DVD came with), and your Mac as well.

2. Get the two of them side-by-side. Have a firewire cable nearby.

3. Boot YOUR Mac into "Target Disk Mode". I believe you have to hold down the "T" key IMMEDIATELY after you hear the startup sound and keep holding it down until you see a "firewire icon" on the display. You are then in "target disk mode", which means you can connect another Mac to it and access the internal hard drive.

4. Next, connect the firewire cable between the firewire ports on each Mac.

5. Now, boot up the OTHER Mac using the System Install DVD (NOT the internal hard drive).

6. Run the OS X installer, BUT, when it comes time to pick the drive onto which the OS will be installed, choose YOUR drive instead of the one in the other Mac.

7. Let the installer do its thing. When finished, disconnect the firewire cable before rebooting.

8. Now, see if this will give you a "good boot". It might -- or it might not. No guarantees here.

9. If you DO get a good boot, go directly to Software Update and install 10.6.4. If you can get "that far", I'll bet you're golden.

NO promises this can work, I've never tried it. Others may have and may reply that it won't work. So be it. I'd try it first just to see what happens.

Probably the easiest way to "get to 10.6" is to just buy the $29.95 upgrade DVD and do it that way.

But if the method I described works, please come back to the forum and let us know.

10. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

Seriously, just pay the $30 and get a retail and LEGAL copy....

11. abobakkr thread starter macrumors newbie

i had installed on my previous MBP a snow leopard version downloaded from torrent file and it always no problem
    by the way i have red something about that if the version i want to install older than the version that shipped with the macbook it can not be installed
    know something about that.........

thanks for your fast reply
    wish you the best...........
    see you ..

12. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The Snow Leopard installation you illegally obtained was a RETAIL version and not a copy of a RESTORE DVD. Thus it worked, just like the regular Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD, which is a RETAIL version of Mac OS X.

And yes, you can't install a version Mac OS X older than the one the Mac came with, thus no Mac OS X 10.6.3 on a Mac that came with Mac OS X 10.6.4.

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Just go and buy a retail version and it will work, don't try to get it illegally.

14. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Windows users and switchers don't believe in legal copies of software.

15. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I believe TDM is disabled on his model...

16. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I'm not aware that any models that offer FireWire have TDM "disabled". I'm not going to call you a liar, but I have never heard that before, and I believe I have used TDM on those or at least very similar models.

jW

17. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It depends what MacBook we are talking about. The 2009 MacBook could be up to three different versions of the MacBook.
    1. Unibody Aluminium MacBook, introduced in 10/2008 and discontinued in 6/2009. No Firewire = no TDM.
    2. White MacBook (updated in early 2009 with Nvidia chipset). Still had Firewire > TDM possible.
    3. White Unibody MacBook, introduced on late 2009, has no Firewire, thus no TDM possible.

Though if Mac OS X Snow Leopard is not on that "2009" MacBook, then it can't be the White Unibody MacBook, as it was released after August 29th, 2009.

It either is the White MacBook or the Unibody Aluminium MacBook.

Just download the damn thing and we will gladly help you find working versions of iWork and Photoshop via the same means.

18. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I could swear that I remember Apple disabling TDM on machines that come with FW800 only, at least for recent ones.

As I do some research, it seems this is not true? Now I'm confused...

19. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I used my 15" and 17" Unibody MBPs in TDM with a PowerMac and a Mac Pro.

20. easy4lif macrumors regular

easy4lif

pay the 29 dollars, and buy a legit disc and yes you can do a clean install.

21. abobakkr thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all
    i am happy to be here
    thank you so much

22. Insomnica macrumors newbie

Just noticed this thread in searching for my own problem.

I got a replacement Macbook (6,1 to the new 7,1) after a Genius decided to replace my broke 6,1 model.
    They neglected to give me the updated Restore Disks, but I've still kept onto the 6,1 Restore Disks.

They won't boot, and get up to IO80211Interface::efiNVRAMPublished(): and then crashes.

I'm assuming that it's because it's an older version (10.6.1) than what came with my new Macbook (10.6.3).

Would a Snow Leopard Retail disk work to reinstall?

23. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The principle holds--You can only install an OS that is newer than the one that shipped preinstalled on your computer. You will need a retail version of MacOS X 10.6.4. Unfortunately for you, the current retail version of MacOS X is MacOS X 10.6.3. You cannot install it on your computer.

24. Insomnica macrumors newbie

Surely, I should be able to install one that is just as old as the OS that came with it (or newer), this Macbook came with 6.3, and the SL disk is 6.3 as well.

Because that's like shipping PCs with Windows 7, and only retailing Vista Install packages in stores. :(

If this SL disk (I really did jump the gun and bought a copy for £15) doesn't work, I really am condemned to Windows for 2 months until I go back home.

Thanks for the hasty response, MisterMe!

25. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

That may not work. Here's why, when Apple releases new Macs they generally have a new build of OS X on them to support the new hardware. The version number may be the same but the build number would most likely be different. For example 10.6.3 is made available via a retail disc and then a month later Apple releases new Macs with a newer build of 10.6.3 than what's available on the 10.6.3 retail disc. Until 10.6.4 is released on a retail disc the only OS X disc that will be able to be installed on that Mac is from the original restore disc that came bundled with it.