Can not load PScs3 licensing has stopped

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DELINDA, May 18, 2010.

1. DELINDA macrumors regular

The Licensing issue has been done before here and I do not wish to be redundant , but I can't seem to get a clear answer as to why my Adobe suite will not load . I wanted to transfer Adobe suite from my 13" to my 15" laptop .Using time machine and migration ass. via an external hard drive . The icons came over but no programs . Using the Adobe disc's I uninstalled and installed twice . In each of the three attempts the message "licensing for this product has stopped working . After a visit to Staple's tech dept. I was told it could be a limited number of licensing issue or maybe Adobe stopped updates so the 15 " will not recognize the Adobe suite . I can't believe any of this . Is there an answer .

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

It's been my experience that pretty much looking at Adobe's DRM the wrong way will cause it to fail, and it can be a pain and a half getting it working again.

I'll also admit that I was somewhat shocked when the Migration Assistant actually properly migrated my CS3 (Design Premium) install from a G5 tower on 10.5 to an i7 iMac on 10.6 without needing a full reinstall. Well, it broke Acrobat 8 and Adobe Reader 9 stopped updating, but then those never worked right to begin with, either.

You said you tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but did you also deactivate the license on your old Mac and try reactivating the new install on the new one? Not sure that the activation system even works the same on a Mac, but I had a similar problem with an earlier CS component when I failed to deactivate on the old system.

Sadly I don't think you're going to find any other solution other than going to Adobe and running through the painful list of things to try that they'll offer you. You can always call tech support, which may at least let you know if you've bumped into some sort of "too many installations" limit that is invisible to you.

<rant>It's not that I want to hate Adobe as a company, it's just that their copy protection and product update systems are so onerous and insulting that it's easy. Other fun things to try: Open Photoshop under two users on the same computer at the same time--you'll get a completely unhelpful message about its DRM subsystem not working and it will promptly quit. That causes all kinds of fun when I forget to quit PS when my wife sits down to do something under her account. Same physical computer, mind you, which is completely legit under Adobe's license.

Aside: Your post has the oddest use of spacing around punctuation I have ever seen. Curious where it comes from?

3. DELINDA thread starter macrumors regular

"but did you also deactivate the license on your old Mac and try reactivating the new install on the new one?" No I did not,How would I do this and will it affect the old mac in any way.The old mac 13" is now my wife's and she would not be happy if I messed up her mac.
    As for punctuation,thats me.My typing is,like my computer skills,in need of help.Thanks to you a lesson has been learned.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Delete /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PCD/cache/cache.db and relaunch the app and enter your serial

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

Re: Deactivating, I'm not sure; I think the Windows version has a "Deactivate" menu option, and I'm pretty sure some earlier CS components did (I had trouble with an old version of Flash from the immediately-post-Macromedia era), but I'm not seeing an equivalent in CS3 Mac, so maybe it doesn't use the same activation/deactivation process. Not having actually uninstalled my home version thus far, only tinkered with our site license at work, I may have been wrong on that.

What Hellhammer suggested sounds promising, though--I'm thinking I ended up doing that when I had a CS3 component that just wouldn't run at work due to DRM issues.