Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomcat1967

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
MBP 15'' Mid 2009, Mavericks OSX 10.9.1, 64-Bit Kernel, Truecrypt 7.1a, Filesystem MAC OS Extended (Journaled)

Have been using Truecrypt to create an encrypted drive on a file container with a "backdoor" function, i.e. two different passwords, one is opening the regular encrypted drive from the container with my data, the 2nd password is opening another encrypted drive with "other" data.

Worked without any issues for years with SL, Lion, ML and now Mavericks.

Last week, I upgraded to 8 GByte RAM and installed a 250 GByte Samsung SSD. Truecrypt still worked fine.

Since yesterday, I am getting the following error when I want to mount my regular encrypted drive: hdiutil: attach failed - no mountable file systems

The backdoor drive (from the same file container), I can open without any issues (it's an MS-DOS FAT32 format)

Older versions of the same file, I can mount both without any problems - either from my internal SSD or from an external HD (both with Filesystem MAC OS Extended (Journaled)) :confused:

Checked for solutions and installed OSXFUSE (as well as different versions of MACFUSE) and TUXERA NTFS, problem is remaining. Mounting as "read-only" is as well not possible.

The regular encrypted file has around 2 GByte, the Backdoor drive has 4.29 GByte, both are in MS-DOS FAT32 Format, the Truecrypt Container which is hiding both encrypted drives has 4.29 GByte.

Who can help?

Last edited:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Talk to Trucrypt?

I suggest you use Disk Utility to run Verify Disk on the HD that the container was on. If there are problems reported, get those corrected.

It sounds like your container got corrupted. I would go to the most recent backup you have of it that still works.

tomcat1967

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
In that case contact TruCrypt, but I expect you'll have to go to a backup of the container. Also, make sure you are running the latest version.

Sure, I got the latest version and sure I can use the backup = I am losing some of my latest work..

Any other ideas?

jonesea

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2013
So, hang on a second. You have a hidden volume inside?

It's not completely clear what volume you're having issues with, but keep in mind you're not supposed to (actually, you must not) add data to the outside volume after you're created a hidden volume. You will eventually overwrite the hidden volume as things grow on the outside.

Is that what has happened?

tomcat1967

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
So, hang on a second. You have a hidden volume inside?

It's not completely clear what volume you're having issues with, but keep in mind you're not supposed to (actually, you must not) add data to the outside volume after you're created a hidden volume. You will eventually overwrite the hidden volume as things grow on the outside.

Is that what has happened?

Yes, this is what I did.. My bad.. I had added some files on the decoy volume and must have screwed up the regular hidden volume by that.. :eek::eek::eek:

ok, no choice than to revert back to the backup then, correct? :mad:

stevec323

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2016
Replying to a 2+ year old thread, but: I don't believe that hidden volume was corrupt. It has something to do with mac OSX updates killing some Truecrypt functionality, because when I opened the same hidden volume on windows, it was fine (and had previously worked in mac as well).

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Today I became aware of concerns around VeraCrypt involving the license for TrueCrypt. I can't offer an opinion (I'm not motivated to investigate) but the Gibson Research Corporation page suggests that spinoffs are violations of the TrueCrypt license.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.