Can not Partition for windows install

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Peppers123, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Peppers123 macrumors newbie

Everytime i try to partition my hard drive via boot camp an error message, it reads "The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved." then "Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again." I am running latest version of OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3. Looking for any suggestions to help with this problem and smooth my windows installation process.

Thanks

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. Peppers123 thread starter macrumors newbie

i would just back up and delete but im not sure how to back up my files. do i use time machine. everytime ive clicked on it it says i need a disk and i do not have any external hard drive or anything similar

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Whenever partitioning your hard disc it is important to have a backup, so I would strongly recommend getting an external hard drive. You could use Time Machine or something like CCC from http://bombich.com

This is definitely the cheapest route and depending on the size of your internal drive it'll set you back less than US$100.

B

5. Peppers123 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok so i got an external drive. when i back up do i need to erase the files from my computer then install bootcamp and then reinstall m info from my harddrive? also is it possible to run windows from the external hard drive i might instead do that. thank you

6. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

Try booting from your OS X disc and "Verify/Repair" your HDD (all four options). I did this, and it worked. Though I did defrag beforehand, which didn't work by itself, so I'm not sure if it was a combination of the two or not.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Always worth a shot. As is manually trying to create the Boot Camp partition manually while booted to anything other than the drive you are trying to modify.

B