Can not restore 3g to 4.2.1, Please Help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by BB20, Mar 6, 2011.

1. BB20 macrumors newbie

Hi; I got some problem I hope someone can help me out,

I have a 3g iphone, with firmware of 4.2.1 on it, locked and jailed, when I got it,
    I did unlock it since i could not use it otherwise,
    I used Resn0w 0.9.6b6 ( it was couple of months ago), the jail breaking and unlocking went smooth and I was using my iphone since then,

since the baseband has been updated to 6.15, then Gps was not working and I was aware of that, time to time I searched online to see if there is any solution to make it work.

somewhere it was solution that if I downgrade to 3.13 it is possible to make gps work, so i did follow the instruction as using the os 3.13 to update iphone with itune and use 3.12 with Redsn0w 9.4, so I did and got the iphone with cydia installed, tried gps for couple of hours no chance of working.

so i decided to get back to Os 4.2.1, since I used a software to backup and noticed that I can not use my backup while using 3.13 on my iphone, so decided to get back to the 4.2.1, but can not make it work, hopefully someone can help my out,

my intention is to use itune to restore to 4.2.1, and then use Redsnow 0.9.6b6 to install the cydia on the phone.

I managed to load the 4.2.1 to itune and iphone started to restore, but then i get an error that the iphone could be restored an unkonw error, error 3014, and iphone stays on a recovery mode ( a circle itune logo with a usb icon)

I have tried couple of times, there is no problem when i use os 3.13, but with 4.2.1 cannot be restored and giving an error.
    I also used 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com on my host file when using 4.2.1.

I use pc running win xp sp3.

anyone know why I can not get back what I had?

Thanks for help.

2. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Why Would you want to go to iOS 4.2.1 its not as fast as 3.1.3

Anywhoo Try putting the iPhone on DFU Mode then Restoring to 4.2.1

Click Me

3. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

If you read the dev team's blog. Once you have the 06.15 baseband, you can't restore with Apple official firmware. You need to restore it with customs 4.2.1 firmware.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, what C-RX said. Either restore to custom 4.2.1 or go down to 3.1.3 and kick device out of recovery with Tinyumbrella.

5. BB20 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you guys for respond;
    the reason that i want the 4.2.1 back because I used pc suite for iphone backed up , now this pc suite wont work while i am having ios 3.13. I have tried that.

I tried to restore my iphone from recovery mode and DFU mode no difference, as you guys said, I wont be able to use the official firmware, I know this issue now that my iphone has BaseBand 6.15, the ios 4.2.1 does not support BB 6.15, ( ios 3.13 does) that is why I can not load this version of ios, I tried made my own custom firmware using SnowBreeze 2.2.1 and did not include the BB in it, then put my iphone into DFU with the visual guide of SnowBreeze, and tried the custom ios, but I got error 1600, then I closed the Snowbrezze and tried to restore in recovery mode( or restore mode, whatever it is called) , then I got error 1604,
    here is what i found about these errors:

I am not really sure how to proceed, since in error 1600 explanation says, that i should restore it in DFU mode using Pwnage, I have pc and I use Snowbreeze the dfu mode on it works the same way, but

patching the software part I am not sure how to make it work.
    if you guys know about this appreciate your help.

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

You need to restore it in DFU mode using Pwnage.

Good luck,

7. dnw1987 macrumors member

Hello, I'm trying to take my 3G back to 3.1.3 from 4.2. Can you please give me the detail instructions you used to revert yours back? Thanks!

8. BB20 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for response;
    as much as I know Pwnage is for Mac, and I don't have a Mac, nor my friends,

I thought snowbreeze is a windows version of a software that works exactly as Pwnage does.

9. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

There are lot of complains about snowbreeze. So, can you ask your friend to use his mac to make you a customs firmware, then use Itunes to restore it. Make sure you restore it in DFU mode.

10. BB20 thread starter macrumors newbie

unfortunately I don't have the links that I used,
    I use PC and here is what I did, I downloaded :
    Redsn0w 0.9.4
    IOS 3.13
    IOS 3.12

1-run itune, connect your iphone to your computer,
    and put your iphone in DFU mode, when itune recognized it, you will get a response that the iphone is in recovery mode,

2- hold shift and load ios 3.13, and let it restore, when rebooted and finnished,

3- run Reds0now 0.9.4 and load ios 3.12 ( if you load 3.13 Redsnow won't recognize it) then select install cydia and let it finnish, iphone will be rebooted and ready for unlock.

4- now you can proceed with adding source of redsnow to cydia for unlocking,

hopefully it helps

11. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Iclarified.com has all the tutorial relate to Apple's products that you can read and learn from.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can also use redsnow for windows to enter Pwned dfu mode.

13. dnw1987 macrumors member

Hey i'm not trying to take over your thread, but i still need a little help. I was stopped at step 2, after i selected the 3.1.3 firmware itunes was trying to load it but then it was cancelled and had error code (1015). was i suppose to run redsn0w before i did the itunes restore?

14. BB20 thread starter macrumors newbie

perhaps this link help you to find out about the reason :

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can use Tinyumbrella to kick it out of recovery after its done restoring to 3.1.3 and you get that error.

16. dnw1987 macrumors member

i took a look at the link you gave me, does this mean that if you are trying to downgrade from 4.2 to 3.1.3, you are also changing the baseband? Also does the error means it's impossible to downgrade now?

17. BB20 thread starter macrumors newbie

No;
    the firmware downgrade will not downgrade baseband,
    I believe baseband upgrade to 6.15 is not reversible, at lease now;
    if you have 6.15 baseband and bootloader 5.08 it might be possible to downgrade, google it , there are some tutorial available, since my iphone has not 5.08, I have not tired it.

for downgrading to 3.13, you have to find out what is the problem, otherwise it is possible to downgrade the firmware.

18. BB20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok eventually my problem solved;:):)
    i was lucky and found a custom firmware, I put my iphone in dfu and loaded the firmware, no errors, and I got it working,

thanks everybody for your help as well,
    for those how might have a similar problem and want to have
    this custom firmware, it is on the sinfuliphone forum posted by laacademia81;

:D

http://www.sinfuliphone.com/showthread.php?t=51585

19. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Yes, this is normal.

Download tiny umbrella, run it with your phone connect to your PC and click on "Kick device out of recovery mode", Your phone then reboot and you will have an Iphone with 3.1.3 firmware on it.

20. dnw1987 macrumors member

I googled, which version should i download?
    My 3G is 4.2.1
    firmware 05.15.04

21. dnw1987 macrumors member

Hey i downloaded tinyumbrella and everytime i tried to open it this error screen came up " No JVM could be found on your system. Please define EXE4J_JAVA_HOME to point to an installed 32-bit JDK or JRE or download a JRE from www.java.com". And when i tried following directions i couldn't find these terms at all. PLEASE HELP!!!

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Install the latest java version.

23. dnw1987 macrumors member

Thanks guys!!! I HAVE SUCCESS!!!

24. dnw1987 macrumors member

one more ? guys. Since i'm FINALLY back at 3.1.3. if i want to jailbreak does it matter which version of redsn0w i use? like if i use redsn0w 0.9.6b4 for the jailbreak?

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Congrats:)