*Can not return black iPhone to Apple for any reason*

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SeanZy, Jun 24, 2010.

1. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

Well I just left the Apple store in Brea, and while we were in line a lady (that seemed like she knew what she was talking about) continually warned people that if they wanted the iPhone in White then they should not have been there.

I talked with her further to clear this up, and I was told that returns on the black iphones were not being taken at the apple store for ANY reason. So you could not just say you wanted to cancel the contract and come back in to get a white phone.

I asked another person working there to confirm this, and was told the same thing. Black iPhone returns were not being expected period.

Perhaps it is just an Apple thing, perhaps it is just that specific location, but I wanted to give a heads up. I would think if it was an apple thing, it would apply to all locations.

2. SeanZy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I forgot to ask if anyone else had heard this?

3. xanadeath macrumors 6502

xanadeath

My store made it pretty clear you would not be able to exchange black for white. Haven't heard anything about not being able tom return a black iPhone period...

Xanadeath

4. lidomkj macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

The apple store announced if you want white, do not buy one today. Simple and to the point.

5. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

What about returning a 16GB in exchange for a 32GB, you think that's acceptable?

6. japresl macrumors member

GOOD! That'll show all those people who hogged the website on pre-order day ordering blacks expecting to return them when white was available...so many people actually wanting black didn't get to pre-order.

7. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

8. cowsrus macrumors 6502

because AT&T has never lied to a customer to get them to buy something...

9. Munitalp macrumors 65816

But with 20% restocking fee and within 30 days :apple:

10. jal19 macrumors newbie

I guess once you go black you can never go back :D

11. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

12. tocheeba macrumors member

You can return it if you don't want it, but you'll pay a restocking fee. You just can't return it for white, which is a good thing - I don't want a bunch of greedy nerds to return their black ones because they couldn't wait 4 weeks like the rest of us.

Funny thing is, demand for white will be a LOT lower, and I'll be able to walk in with a 5-10 minute wait and pick up accessories well. Kinda sucks having to wait an extra month, but it'll be a lot easier and less nerve wrecking then doing it on the 1st official launch day.

13. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

14. c00lerness macrumors member

Agreed. Good things happen to those who wait.

15. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

Let's hope they stick to this. Although we know what the next batch of complaints will be in a few weeks time:rolleyes:

16. ballen420 macrumors 6502

No restocking fee at my AT&T store. Can upgrade, change to white, or return it within 30 days. I have no intentions to unless I have issues with reception, but good to have options.

17. bobdigi macrumors regular

18. Built macrumors 68020

Good, I agree.

I never wanted white, but I have read enough stories of people here trying desperately to even get in to order a black, but who were unable to...juxtaposed against stories of people successfully ordering blacks and gloating that they will be returning them for whites when available.

19. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Great news. If this is the case then maybe Apple won't have to launch the White iPhone after the 24th of July.

Just a few more weeks, then I'll have my White iPhone w/ White Bumper.

20. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

+1

21. Hawklight macrumors member

They will be returning black iPhones if they don't step up and acknowledge this antenna issue soon.

22. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

They cant really stop people from doing that though. Think about it, you can return it for any other reason. Wait a few days, a week, whatever. Return and purchase a white iPhone. Also what about those that say they ran out of space and want to up to a 32GB. Who are they to say it cant be a white 32GB iPhone? What if people want to return it to wait until issues are worked out, then at some point later get one, this time wanting white? Trust me there is many ways around this.

I wasn't too fond of black from the photos on Apples site and in the hands on videos but having it in person the black iPhone 4 looks good.

23. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

Same here. At the Mall of America a manager sounding lady sounded off loud and clear minutes before the store doors opened that under no circumstances would they be allowing black to white transfers.

It only makes sense. Aside from those who wanted and didn't get theirs, it would be quite a waste of time for the employees to do twice the work for those customers who would try to do this.

Blonde

24. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Yes, there will be ways around it. However, if you can't just walk into a store and exchange the phone, it will discourage most of the people who would do it. You'd have to wait a week w/o your iPhone just so you can get around the system.

I'm willing to bet that most of the people who are willing to wait a week to get around the system, waited for the White iPhone in the first place!