can not view old Time Machine backups on new Mac

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by superspud, Dec 9, 2013.

1. superspud macrumors regular

I used migration assistant to use my old time machine backup to restore all of my items on my new iMac.

All of my info was transferred over no problem. The issue started when I realized I only have 85gb left on my backup drive when on my old computer I had well over 300gb.

When I tried to enter time machine to see what all was on there, I can not view ANY older backups, not even ones that have been done on my new computer since i had it hooked up. It appears they are all there (there are dates back to 2009) but all of the finder windows are black and I can not see any information on them.

does anyone have any ideas? It worked perfectly fine on my old computer. Did I somehow miss a step after migration assistant did its thing?

I would REALLY like to have those old backups available.

2. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

You should always be able to go to the root of your time machine backup and restore items that way. Just go straight to the symbolic link named "latest".

I've had problems if my drive was named differently than before a reinstall. Your username should also be the same

3. superspud thread starter macrumors regular

unfortunately, I couldn't even view the latest backups my NEW computer had done today. when i went to the date, it just had a black time machine window that I couldn't see anything on.

I must say, i am VERY impressed with apple care support. I filled out a "ticket" for them to call me to assist and LITERALLY as soon as i hit submit my phone rang.

spoke with them for 30 minutes trouble shooting various things, even plugged the time machine disk into my old computer and we determined it was an issue with my time machine backup disk. Ended up having to delete, reformat and start over fresh with my time machine backups. ultimately, its not that big of a deal. I have all of my files on my new computer that I needed and cant think of any reason to go back to 2009 or even earlier this year for files.

sooooooo, problem solved i suppose...