Can not view photo files on iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AFMRPCUSER, Nov 23, 2008.

1. AFMRPCUSER macrumors member

AFMRPCUSER

Well, I have looked in vain to determine what I might need in the way of software to view picture files sent to me as attachments on emails. I would like to view them while still in the email receive window. What am I missing here?:confused:

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

^^^ File type?

and

What email program are you using?

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Comic Sans makes ME cry. You don't want to see me when I cry. Most people don't like me when I'm fine...

6. johto macrumors 6502

johto

You missing a brain? I already told you what to do on another thread :confused: If you want more help, you need to tell us more info. What email program you are using, what image file format you are talking. Do you have a new imac with Leopard ? Or older Mac OS ? You seem "weird" :rolleyes:

7. AFMRPCUSER thread starter macrumors member

AFMRPCUSER

A Response To A Weird/rude Response

Well Sir, if I had received your thread, I might not be asking the same question twice. I must ask, are you a Thread Troller? One who waits for someone to make a simple mistake and then you pounce on them, and insult them by calling them names?? I wonder if you understand Interpersonal Skills or do they not teach you that where you come from? As a matter of fact, I am not weird. However your response appears to fall into that category. It's apparent that you must believe that your someone special. I dislike having to break this to you, but your not perfect. Maybe you should check your self appointed target before you pull your trigger. And, if you did not appreciate my second attempt; you could have simply paid no attention to me. It appears you enjoy being a bully. And, if I desire more help, I will chose those that are polite first and foremost.

8. AFMRPCUSER thread starter macrumors member

AFMRPCUSER

A Not So Weird Response From Me

Well; thanks to those who were polite and did not remind me that I had previously asked this question. I was not able to locate a response. I am new to Apple, I have been a PC user for many years and I know that Apple OS is somewhat different than Microsoft. I am receiving files with the extension of (mv) The screen shows a rectangle or square with a quotation mark in the center. Evidence that the iMAC "Brand New Model" OS does not recognize this type of file. I would imagine that the mv must represent a Microsoft type of Image or Video file. I am running the latest version of Leopard 10.5.5. In addition, I am running the Mail program provided by Apple and factory installed in this iMAC. Thanks in advance for your comments and advice. For those who feel compelled to make rude and uncivil remarks, save your keystrokes for a site where your rudeness and insults may be interesting to those who have room temperature IQ's. :cool:

9. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

Are you sure that the extension is MV, normally the extension has 3 characters .WMA, .JPG, can you double check?

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

My guess here would be .wmv, which just needs Flip4Mac installed in order to play.

11. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

That would be my guess. The mac reads any actual image format I've come across -- I have no idea why anyone would e-mail you a picture in such a format, or where they got it from in the first place.

My first guess is like the guy above me -- the file is actually a movie file, that should have the ".wmv" file extension. While this is not natively supported on Mac OS, it can be handled with either Flip4mac, or VLC Player.

Alternatively, it could be a photo saved by a specific application, for that application. Similar to saving an unfinished photoshop picture as a photoshop file, which probably won't be readable by anyone not running photoshop. If that is the case, they should learn that when saving finished photos, they should save as .Jpg, .gif, .png, or even .bmp

I believe .png is the best option.

12. AFMRPCUSER thread starter macrumors member

AFMRPCUSER

My Reply Again-afmrpcuser

GREETINGS:

I truly appreciate the responses here tonight. I'm very certain that I have narrowed down the problem. It appears that some of the image and video file formats are not recognized by the Leopard OS. I mentioned this to my Manager at Breakfast this morning and He said I needed some software installed in the iMAC. I have forgotten the name but it was "Something" Pro if I recall. He said it was capable of decoding all the common file formats for Video and Images. This is good news. I expect that I will look into this matter as well as the program mentioned by a member on this Site. The Flip4Mac. Thanks for the information and suggestions.. I'm on my way to the WWW to read up on Flip4Mac...:cool::)

Ciao,