Can Office Wifi Access iPhone Email?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by MacKenzie999, Oct 20, 2015.

1. MacKenzie999 macrumors regular

Hey everyone...

This is a pretty basic, and probably stupid, question about my iPhone 6 (or any phone I guess).
    If I connect my phone to my office's wifi network, does that mean the network admin will have any kind of access to email I may read on my phone? Sender/header info? Content? I'd love to not use my data, but prefer to keep my email private. Any thoughts?
    Thanks

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

If you are using any sane and modern email service your email is encrypted in transit (like gmail) so you will be ok. I imagine they can read the destination IP so they will know you checked your email, but that is it.

If you are still paranoid, you can buy a VPN service that encrypts all traffic but you need to trust the company. Alternatively you can buy a router with VPN support, so your phone will be as secure as you are at home.

3. MacKenzie999 thread starter macrumors regular

I have two main accounts, a .mac account from Apple and one from Dreamhost who host my website. I get a lot of email about freelance work that they might not be cool about, hence my concern. I access them via the Mail app, not through the web.

4. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin