Can one connect iWeb and Dreamweaver in any way?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by benjaminaho, Feb 19, 2010.

1. benjaminaho macrumors member

benjaminaho

Hi all!

Can one connect iWeb and Dreamweaver in any way? When you create a file on Dreamweaver, it's an HTML document [usually]. However, can you open that in iWeb? Or make something in iWeb, then put it on Dreamweaver?

Basically, in any way, can one create websites with Dreamweaver and iWeb?:confused:

Thanks!
    Benny

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

iWeb cannot import HTML files, even ones it creates. DreamWeaver can open iWeb published HTML files, but you may find DreamWeaver has problems with it. I don't advise trying to use the two together in any fashion. They create web sites in very different ways.

3. benjaminaho thread starter macrumors member

benjaminaho

Hmm… Which one is easier? And Which one would you recommend I use? For I'm getting a new Macbook; would it be worth it to buy Dreamweaver, supposing I already would have iWeb?

Thanks!
    Benny

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

iWeb is easier because it doesn't require knowledge of web design, but it is limiting and hard to troubleshoot because it doesn't let you interact with the source code. I don't care for either. I just use a text editor (BBEdit) and do everything by hand.

You should check out the stickies in this forum to see a number of options you have on Mac. What works for you depends on your level of knowledge of web design and what you want out of a web creation application. Most paid apps have trial periods so you can try them out before committing. It'll also depend on your end goals, having a web site or learning web design.

5. wartime macrumors newbie

wartime

an one connect iWeb and Dreamweaver in any way?

Actually, I use both and you can build a very respectable site in iWeb, very easily too. There are limitations though as there's no direct route for on line marketing etc. Dreamweaver is excellent providing you have the time and patience to learn how to use it. It's also expensive to purchase so it depends what you need the website to do for you. I have Dreamweaver CS which no longer works in Snow Leopard and I run a fairly large site with it. One solution I found was to install Kompozer, which is freeware, and it's amazing just how similar that is to Dreamweaver. It's fairly basic but, I can edit my site quite easily and confirmed to me that I didn't need to invest in Dreamweaver in order to fulfil my objectives.

6. HollyQueen macrumors newbie

iweb in ilife

What is the different between the iweb in ilife and iweb come with the Leopard?

Thank you.

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

They are both the same thing. iWeb only comes with iLife, so if you have iWeb, you have iLife.

8. Hmac macrumors 68020

The iLife that came with Leopard, however, doesn't work with Snow Leopard (at least that's what I found), and there's no upgrade from iWeb 1.x to iWeb 3.01 (which is what comes with iLife 09). So, I found that, even though I had iWeb that came with Leopard, since upgrading to Snow Leopard I had to buy iLife 09 in order to use iWeb.

9. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

The answer to this is always no, it's a godawful thing!

I build sites using Coda. As far as I'm concerned there is no better. BBEdit is also nice, and like angelwatt says...it's much better to learn how to write code by hand than rely on these programs.

10. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

Lot's of people use Dreamweaver. Coda vs Dreamweaver comparison doesn't make lots of sense. Coda is for hand coding. If you dont know any HTML CSS you would stare at Coda the whole day and wouldn't create anything. On the other hand with Dreamweaver you can do lots of things with its wizards.

If you do not know the difference btw iWeb and Dreamweaver I suggest you not to purhcase Dreamweaver. Download the trial check if you like it.