Can one do an OS restore without a disc?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Shrink, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

It is my understanding that when Lion is available, it will downloaded from the App Store. If I understand correctly that means I will not have a disc as I do with Snow Leopard. I am a noob who bought my first computer about 8 months ago. I have had to do an OS restore on three occasions (under the instruction of Applecare tech support) and that required the use of the disc supplied with the computer (Macbook 13"). The restore solved my problems.

If Lion is downloaded from the App store, how would one do an OS restore without a disc?

Sorry if this is a dumb question - but you all are the only ones I can think of to answer my question.

Thank you for your help.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Nobody knows. Snow Leopard on the new MBA came on a memory stick. Perhaps something like that.

3. simsaladimbamba

You could burn the downloaded file to a DVD.
    That it is how it is done now. You could also use a USB flash memory thumb drive to install Lion.
    And there will be Lion DVDs to buy, as not all users want the online way.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

We don't know for sure what apple will be doing but I suspect 10.7 will be available in DVD and perhaps even a memory stick along with the being downloaded via the app store. They'll need a way to create a bootable image, whether its a DVD or memory stick.

To be honest, its a little premature to worry what apple may do. Once they divulge more info and/or release 10.7 then these questions will be answered.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Lion makes a "restore" partition on your drive and if you need to you can reinstall from that.