can one havew windows installed with both bootcamp & virtulization software?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Sossity, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Sossity
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

I like the idea of bootcamp because it does not use as much of a macs resources, but I also like being able to run both OSes windows & mac at the same time, & from looking online, it seems that parallels is a bit simpler to set up than bootcamp with windows.

say I install with parallels, but find later on that I want to dedicate all the macs power to windows, can I then have windows installed through boot camp as well as parallels? or can windows be only on the mac one way or the other?

2. Keleko
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

If you install Windows using Bootcamp, you can also access the partition using Parallels or VMWare Fusion. So you can choose to boot Windows natively with a reboot or as a VM with one of those two products. They both recognize a Bootcamp partition and enable it for VM use. There is one difference from a pure VM install. You can't suspend a Bootcamp partition as a VM like you can a pure VM.

3. balamw
    Expand Collapse

balamw

Staff Member

Raw performance is also slightly less in using a Boot Camp partition as a VM instead of a dedicated VM.

You may also run into activation issues, but these can usually be remedied by calling the phone number Microsoft provides when your online activation is rejected.

B

4. elpmas
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

elpmas

+1. This basically answers your question. Try Parallels/VMware's trial. If not, try Virtualbox, it's free.