Can one install a discounted student priced Windows 7 Upgrade on a clean mac?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by SalWarhol, Oct 18, 2010.

1. SalWarhol macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, first post hurray.

Anyway, I am considering purchasing Windows 7 to install on my new macbook pro with boot camp. My friend gave me a copy but it's on a DVD-R and I don't want to mess with that. Regardless, I want to play my games on my mac and purchasing a copy of Windows 7 seems to be the only solution.

I have no previous Windows OS on my mac, and was wondering if Boot Camp will allow me to install a discounted upgrade version of 7 on my mac? I don't have a lot of money, as I am a student and bought a computer on lay-away, so I am looking into this. It is 30 dollars so :p

Thanks for any input/help!

2. SalWarhol thread starter macrumors newbie

Ehh, I've been reading that I can't. Well there are ways, but it is illegal I suppose. I guess I have to go hunting for a cheap copy.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The only thing that is clear about Microsoft licensing is that it is overly complicated.

Technically the student version works just fine there are many folks here who have done what you are trying to do. When the $29 student deal first came out, the fact that it was an upgrade was only in the fine print, and several people called Microsoft for clarification to be told conflicting stories.

Unfortunately, the only way you can fully comply with the licensing is to buy a full packaged product copy of Windows which is the opposite of cheap. The ones you will find cheap are OEM/System Builder which are not licensed for end user use and are thus just as gray an area license-wise as using upgrade or student upgrade.

Also note that you can install W7 without entering a product key and use it freely for 30 days before you need to activate and you can extend this to 120 days if you reset the 30 day counter 3 more times.

Here's the clean install from upgrade (including student) guide: http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

and the use Windows free for 120 days guide:
    http://lifehacker.com/5341666/run-windows-7-for-120-days-without-activation

B