Can one take on bord the following photographic items ... ??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by igmolinav, Nov 10, 2011.

1. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Hi,

I am getting a a bag for my photo equipment and I was wondering
    if one could take the following items on bord:

*One or two small generator(s) (for lighting, like the ones from Elinchrom, Profoto, etc.)
    *One or two lamps, or torchs, (with their respective modelling lights - these are the ones to be connected to the generator)
    *Two spare modelling lights.
    *A hot shoe adapter
    *A cable that connects to the wall for power
    *The cable that gets connected to the camera
    *A camera body

Are any of these items prohibited or considered as dangerous ??

Thank you, kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!

2. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Well, I travel alot, and work in the aviation industry (but not the TSA) so I have a rough idea what is allowed or prohibited.

The generators may be a red flag. At first I thought they may be gas powered electric generators, but I see from googling a web site they are not. My question is do the generators contain large lithium batteries? Most lithium batteries (other than typical consumer electronics) are not allowed as carry on, and never allowed as cargo.

Do the light bulbs contain mercury or other hasmat? It it's equivilant to a normal consumer bulb you should be all right, but if it is more unique that may be an issue.

Finally, the airlines will not copensate passengers for stolen photo gear at all. (It is in the common carriage agreement no one reads). If you are forced to check the equipment (like when the overhead bins fill up before you can get to them) and then you bag is lost or stolen you will be SOL without some kind of insurance. (Your homeowners/renters insurance policy may cover you, or the credit card you used to book the flight.)

3. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Lithium battery info:

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2007/12/new_lithium_bat_1.html

4. TheXIIIth macrumors member

None of those items look they would be on the prohibited list.

It looks like you may need to purchase a 2nd bag if you don't already have one. One for carry on luggage and one for checked baggage.

Carry on bag packed with your camera body, hot shoe adapter, power cable and camera cable. You'll want these in your carry on so you can reduce the chances of them being lost in the checked baggage shuffle.

Checked bag packed with your generator(s), lamp(s) and spare modeling lights. Unless these items are completely collapsible - they'll likely exceed the size limit for carry on luggage.

When in doubt -
    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

5. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Thank you for your messages : ) !!!

I may go and do some interviews and I may just
    take the aforementioned lighting equipment with
    me.

In an extra bag to be checked in, I had thought
    to take perhaps, a couple of small tripods. But
    if to the city I am going, I can manage to
    borrow two, or rent them, it would be kind of
    cool to take less.

But cool to know that any of that the equip. can be