Can one tether 3GS and receive calls at same time ?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Panchophone, May 9, 2010.

1. Panchophone macrumors newbie

Can one tether 3GS and receive calls at same time ?

That is, can I use a 3GS 3.1.3 w/ jailbreak, to tether my laptop, and get incoming calls on the 3GS while it remains tethered ?

If not, then is there any iphone set-up with which this can be done ?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

If in a 3G coverage area, it should work. If you are in an EDGE coverage area, then definitely No.

TEG

3. Panchophone thread starter macrumors newbie

What is Edge coverage.

Thanks

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

EDGE is an older, second-generation mobile data technology. If your phone has an E in the status bar next to your network name, then you are on an EDGE network. If instead the status bar says 3G, you are on a 3G network. 3G networks are faster than EDGE networks, and can handle both data and phone at the same time. AT&T has 3G coverage in most major cities and is gradually expanding it to more rural areas.

5. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

I am not so sure you are correct on the edge part. I tried it and it worked on mine. now 3g is definately faster but I shut mine off because I have a camper and boat at a lake in Ky and we get no 3g and signal is bad on edge so I wanted to see if I would miss calls while tethering and it worked on 3g and edge.

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

No, it didn't. For technical reasons it is simply not possible to have concurrent data and voice connections on an EDGE network. You can receive calls while viewing pages that have already loaded, but you cannot receive or initiate a call while a page is loading or while you have an active data connection (downloading, streaming audio, checking email, etc.), nor can you browse to a new page or initiate a new data connection while in a call.

7. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

that may be the case I dont remember surfing while talking when I was on edge but I do it all day on 3g

8. Panchophone thread starter macrumors newbie

Do aircards also have the Edge issue "

I have an AT&T 3G Globetrotter aircard, and was told by the AT&T store that it glows blue when at 3G, and green when slower. Does that mean that green is Edge, or what ?

Thanks

9. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

I dont know anything about the air cards. sorry

10. Macman1993 macrumors 6502

Macman1993

Air cards do not connect to voice networks so that limitation doesn't exist. Even if you make calls via Skype it wouldn't be a problem as a Skype uses voip and as far as your air card is concerned it just uses more bandwidth.

11. calsci macrumors 6502

calsci

12. phrint macrumors 6502

I have made and received calls while tethering with my 3GS. It handles everything just fine and remains in active tethering mode after the call.

13. Panchophone thread starter macrumors newbie

Very good,
    Thanks everyone for your help.
    This is all new to me, and am getting ready to buy my 1st iphone.