Can only access admin privileges at school network.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RestlessPanda, Jan 16, 2013.

1. RestlessPanda macrumors newbie

I got a MacbookPro at school and I can't unlock the admin account at my home network. If I want to install a driver or a program if I'm connected to the local servers at my school. Is there any way around this? Or to at least be able to install stuff at my home network.

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Huh?

If this is a school laptop most likely the school "priests" don't want you to install your own things to it. Full stop.

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

If the school issued you the laptop....it is theirs to own and admin. I can fully understand they do not want the extra work and risks from students loading apps on school-owned machines.

4. RestlessPanda, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013

RestlessPanda thread starter macrumors newbie

The have given me admin access to the computer and tell me I can do whatever I want with it. It's basically mine. It's only set up so that the admin user is connected to the school network or something.

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If that's the case how come u can't install?

Your first post is a jumble of incomprehensible no information. You will have to be a lot more specific what you are trying to install, what messages you are getting etc before anybody here can give u any kind of assistance.

6. RestlessPanda thread starter macrumors newbie

Well then. I'll try to explain in detail.
    When I try to make changes, my Mac asks for an administrator authentication wit a username and my password. At school it works just fine, but when I'm connected to any other network it reacts as if my password or username is wrong. Therefore, I can't change anything in my system preferences, my application folder or install anything when I'm not on my school network.

So, logging in: No problem.
    Logging in as an administrator: Only at school.

I have a suspicion it's a keychain thing, but I'm new to Macs so I really have no idea.

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Then ask the IT department at your school. Why would they give students a MacBook and hope they muck around in the OS?

8. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

Make another admin account while you're at school. Make it local, rather than on the school's network.

9. RestlessPanda thread starter macrumors newbie