can only burn up to 2x on an 8x superdrive???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brent0saurus, Apr 11, 2009.

1. brent0saurus macrumors regular

brent0saurus

My superdrive has been having some issues lately, getting errors and not burning in toast and iDVD. I'm still trying to figure this out..

what i can't figure out is why i only have the option to burn 1x or 2x when i have an 8x super drive and the dvd-rs i'm using are 8x!!!

is my superdrive broken?!?!
    thanks!

2. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Snap

I have a brand new macbook pro 8X Superdrive and 8X verbatim disks
    My options are also only 2X, think I saw it writing at 4X once.

Anyone else??

Suggestions????

3. brent0saurus thread starter macrumors regular

brent0saurus

4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

5. brent0saurus thread starter macrumors regular

brent0saurus

the link i posted says that the mac mini and powerbook super drives only support discs that come from the CMC factory. i have tried the brands they reccommended with no luck but maybe it'll work for you since you have a newer drive.

also, i called applecare and they said to bring the computer into the apple store for a free diagnosis.

here's the quote from the site

It seems that Apple only support media created by the CMC factory. Discs made by this factory (and banded as other labels) seem to work fine in the drive. CMC make the Verbatim and possibly LG, SHINTARO, TDK and some DATACELL discs. This means in theory, any of these discs that happen to come from the CMC factory should work find. Anything else, and you'll get 2x burns.

6. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Disk choice

I only use Verbatim disks now anyway, personally I have found them to be the best..... taking it to an apple store is not a great option for me, closet one is a 2 hour drive.....

Have applecare though, so maybe that hardware test disk will enlighten me?

7. brent0saurus thread starter macrumors regular

brent0saurus

possibly. i called applecare and they said i'd have to take it to a store so they could diagnose the problem but i'm out of warranty. maybe it'll be different for you.

good luck!

8. James Cole macrumors 6502

Thats a pretty weird problem try other disks...

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Insert a blank disc and then go to "System Profiler>Disc Burning", what are the speeds that are listed? Is it only 2x? There's a small chance that it could be software related.

10. brent0saurus thread starter macrumors regular

brent0saurus

i did that in terminal (drutil status) with multiple discs, one of them being a TDK 16x dvd, which supposedly are the most reliable (tdk in generaly, that is) and it says it was 2x.

i did a clean install of tiger pretty recently so i can't imagine it being a software issue but possibly. i've been thinking about upgrading to leopard soon so maybe that'll help...

i'm pretty sure it's just a manufacturer's defect that apple just won't acknowledge :(

11. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

No, upgrading to Leopard won't change anything (but it wouldn't hurt to try). It's likely the SuperDrive.

12. brent0saurus thread starter macrumors regular

brent0saurus

yeah that's what i'm thinking.
    this sucks because i'm out of warranty, but the girl that usually helps me at my local apple store is usually really nice and tries to make exceptions when she can.

the only issue is that i just upgraded my hard drive and it's pretty obvious (i messed up the screws (ended up having to make them flat heads with a bevel) on the hard drive/super drive mounting bracket so i'm afraid they won't do it.

although, my warranty is already gone, so can replacing the hard drive void a warranty that doesn't exist?
    does a fallen tree make a sound in the woods if no one is there to hear it?:p

13. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I think the best course of action would to take it to the Apple Store, have the Genius Bar take a look at it and have them find out what the problem is. If it is the SuperDrive, then lucky for you, SuperDrive's aren't THAT expensive and is affordable. If you decide to get the SuperDrive replaced, it's something that can be done yourself.

14. brent0saurus thread starter macrumors regular

brent0saurus

yeah i've found them for 50-60 dollars on ebay. i'm just afraid that it'll have the same issue. it seems like a bug, not a broken superdrive.
    hopefully apple will do it for free so i don't need to spend money on something that'll have the same issue.