Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nihilisticmonk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2005
Hi guys,

I've got a weird one here that I just can't solve. My specs are in my Sig, and I'm running 10.4.2.

When I sleep my powermac, it will successfully go to sleep, however, when I then wake it up, I cannot put it back to sleep again until I either re-boot, or shutdown.

It always re-boots and shuts down successfully, but after you've slept the machine once, it will never sleep again. it's simply as if you're not clicking the icon or pushing the button.

I'm a fairly new full switcher, but have been using macs for a few years, but am not an expert by any means, but I've tried the usual....re-set the P-Ram, repaired permissions, deleted caches but still nothing.

I've had a sneek in the logs, but most of it's gobbledy gook to me, and I'm not sure which log file I should be looking in....I can't see anything to do with sleep, or powermanagement coming up to indicate a problem.

I'm ensuring I've got current backups and then plan to format and re-install os X this weekend........unless, someone can come to my aid and help me find out what's going on....!!!

Possibly related, I've had a couple of instances where I can't click my dock shortcuts...I've had to right click and open app, then it sorts itself out, and I've also had my "magnify" option on the dock stop working until I disabled and re-enabled it.....looks like my system is slowly dying!!!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
If it counts, I had the same problem with my iBook. I worked out that if I quit iTunes and then try to sleep it while the little black triangle is still underneath the iTunes dock icon, it won't sleep again until after a restart.

Do you quit a program just before sleeping? If you do, maybe make sure it has completely closed before sleeping. :)

I hope it's this simple.

nihilisticmonk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2005
mad jew said:
If it counts, I had the same problem with my iBook. I worked out that if I quit iTunes and then try to sleep it while the little black triangle is still underneath the iTunes dock icon, it won't sleep again until after a restart.

Do you quit a program just before sleeping? If you do, maybe make sure it has completely closed before sleeping. :)

I hope it's this simple.

Hmm, I'll try that tonight, I've noticed it appears to happen when I disconnect my ipod from its cradle (i..e. wakes the mac from sleep)...perhaps it's that...I'll have to investigate further...

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
I had a similar prob awhile back with mine... Sometimes it was freezing when I pressed the button on the monitor or mac, or went to sleep. I found that by making itunes stopped or paused, then clicking into the finder, and going to sleep from the apple menu helped. :)

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
nihilisticmonk said:
Hi guys,
When I sleep my powermac, it will successfully go to sleep, however, when I then wake it up, I cannot put it back to sleep again until I either re-boot, or shutdown.

It always re-boots and shuts down successfully, but after you've slept the machine once, it will never sleep again. it's simply as if you're not clicking the icon or pushing the button.

This is a common problem for new parents. The best thing to do is to make sure the little fella only sleeps when you want him to. Don't let him have a long afternoon nap otherwise he'll stay awake all night. If he does need an afternoon nap make sure that you don't let him sleep more than an hour.

Hope that helps.
Best regards,
Supernanny.

:).

nihilisticmonk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2005
I've sorted this out, it was when my ipod was synching with itunes open it'd screw up. Without the ipod it's been fine for the last few days!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.