Can only see 1/9 of browser screen at a time

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Greybeard, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Greybeard macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm new to the Mac world, having just acquired a G3 w/OS 8.6. After working on it to get everything running I found that when I run IE 5.1 I only see a small section of the page and I have to do a lot of scrolling up & down, as well as side to side to see the whole page.

I'm well versed in PCs tech-wise so I figured it was just a matter of a setting or something, but I can't find anything to adjust. I thought to go over to Firefox, which I use on my PC, but it needs OS X to run. I tried installing Safari but it wouldn't install either.

Am I just lost in a strange world, or am I flogging a dead horse, as it were? :confused:

I have a Lime G3 running OS 8.6 @ 333Mhz w/64Mb of mem. I don't know what version of firmware is there because I don't know where to look for the answer.

Any help with this problem would be much appreciated. :(

Thanks,

Grey

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What is the resolution of the display?

And is IE capable of scaling (CMD++ or CMD+-)?

3. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

click on apple top left of screen goto control panels and click on monitors and displays. set this to 1024X768.

G3's died in 2001 sorry about your luck.

--Eric

4. Greybeard thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi again,

Thanks for the quick responses.

spinnerlys: The original res. was 800x600 and IE will scale but only the text size changed, so it didn't really help much.

ewilson6: I adjusted the res. to 1024x768 and it did help somewhat but still no joy. I put up the same web site on my PC and compared the two and the Mac version is still way off. Also, I really didn't want to increase the res. if I could help it. I was setting this up with Word Perfect for my wife to do some writing and she is having a bit of trouble with her eyes lately.

P.S. the G3 was a freebee so no great loss if it doesn't work. I wanted her to be able to check emails and such but OE won't install. ??????????????

Thanks again,

Grey

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Does your PC also have a resolution of 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768? If not, that could explain the discrepancy in the rendering of those websites.

What is OE by the way?

6. seb-opp macrumors 6502

Can you post screen shots? Perhaps it's just because IE 5 is so old.
    But either way, you might find OS X Panther or Tiger on ebay, that way you could run a more up to date browser. You'd probably want as much RAM as you can get for that

7. Greybeard thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

The PC monitor has been at 1024x768 and the Mac is now at that as well. FYI, OE is Outlook Express, the infamous email program. ;)

On the PC the whole width, and about the top third, of the page is shown which is normal. On the Mac, the first pic shows the top quarter and top third of the page. The second pic shows the second quarter down and the middle third to the right. The third pic is near the right side and a bit over half way down the page. You can make out the slider buttons which are a minty green. That should give you an idea of where each pic is located.

Now all I have to do is make sure I can get the screen shots attached properly. These shots were all taken with with a digicam since I don't know how to take screen shots from within a Mac. The PC pic should be first, and the three Mac pics after.

Thanks for the help.

Grey

P.S. I think the pics are attached. If they don't come through, I'll try again.:p

Attached Files:

8. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Those web pages aren't rendering correctly in IE on your Mac. I would try Safari or Firefox...

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yep, that's exactly it. IE 5 is so old that many sites simply do not support it anymore.

Safari isn't available for OS 8.6, and I'm not aware of Firefox for it either. Your best bet may be to install more RAM, then upgrade to an old version of OS X (maybe 10.3).

10. splitpea macrumors 6502a

IE 5 for Mac has some notorious CSS rendering bugs, and those screenshots are textbook cases. Since it's such an outdated and almost unused browser, nobody bothers coding for it any more.

I'd strongly recommend trying to find an old build of Mozilla or possibly Firefox (dunno if they made Firefox for 8.6; the earliest versions were called Phoenix and then Firebird). Even better, upgrade to an early OS X (Jaguar or Panther should run well on a G3). You should be able to find a copy of Safari or Firefox that will run on them and render those sites close to correctly.

11. Greybeard thread starter macrumors newbie

As I stated in my first post, Firefox needs OS X or greater, and I tried installing Safari but it gave me an error while trying to install. Perhaps it, too, needs >OSX.

I hesitate to put any money into it until I am sure it will work. If I can get the mem chips, and if Panther will install, everything may just come together.

I guess I just wanted to make sure I wasn't just missing something.

Thanks for all the help, Folks,

Have a great life!

Greybeard

12. Greybeard thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry about that.

I failed to check and see if there were any further posts before I added my last one.

What you guys/gals had to say makes a lot of sense, so there is still hope for the old 'puter. I guess I'll see if I can scrounge up a mem chip or two and go for it. Panther shouldn't be too hard to find.

As I said in my last post, Thanks a bunch.

Take care.

Grey

13. splitpea macrumors 6502a