Can only see some files on SMB share

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Malaphus, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Malaphus macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have a macbook pro with snow leopard 10.6.7 (all patches/updates applied) and am having trouble accessing files on an SMB share. The machine hosting the files is Windows 7 x64. Basically, I can successfully connect to the share and view the first 24 files/directories in the share, but none after that. If I delete a file/directory that I CAN see, I am then able to see another that I couldn't see previously. This is in Finder as well as from a terminal.

Not sure what is going on. Any ideas?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

That's an odd problem. It's not an issue I've seen before when doing this. Are the sharing permissions for the folders/files set correctly?

Check out this support link from Apple. In it is has a few other links for troubleshooting from the Apple end and from the Microsoft end. Try following them and see if it helps resolve the issue.

Mac OS X: How to connect to Windows File Sharing (SMB)

3. Malaphus thread starter macrumors newbie

Figured it out.

Apparently Avast antivirus was causing the issue. I had actually tried turning it off which didn't solve the problem, but after having upgraded to the beta version (6.0.1044), everything now works fine.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

I'm glad you figured it out. Was the antivirus on your Mac or on your Windows machine?

If it's on your Mac, you really don't need it. Check this link out:

Mac Virus/Malware Info